Jaguar bass neck on Jazz bass body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Browndk, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Browndk

Browndk

Well to sum it up my jaguar bass body is destroyed -> looks like it was killed by a shotgun.

I like the neck a lot and all ways wanted a jazz bass.

Would the neck fit a newer american standart jazz bass body?

I imagine that the hardwere can be hot rodded and simplified to match the jaguar bass right?

Lovingly Jonathan Brown

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

is it the short scale jaguar bass? If it is, then I don't think that it'll work properly with a standard body. if its a 34" scale, then yes, it'll work. that neck is probably just a jazz neck with a different decal on the headstock if its a 34" scale.

can we see a picture of this destroyed body, and a little back story?

3. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Wont work right.

Jaguar = short scale. Jazz = long scale.

You'd never be able to properly intonate unless the bridge were relocated towards the neck. But then it would likely be sitting on top of the bridge pup.

I just wont work,.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can't put a short scale neck on a long scale bass without re-positioning the bridge.

As noted above, if the Jag is long scale, it will work. If not, no go.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Browndk

Browndk

hmm it is deluxe jaguar bass 34" scale length so it should fit :)

somebody said intonation which was my greatest concern. could somebody elaborate on that?

And thanks for the replies :)

Got no camera and the shotgun thing, which is a quote from No Country For Old Men, might have been a bit over-exaggeration but it's got a crack all down through the body from a drop at a gig.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A 34" neck should work. Intonation will be OK to adjust as long as the scale length is the same between old and new necks.

I'm assuming that Fender made the neck bases identical - they normally make all their necks with bases the same size and width.

8. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Oh...If the neck fits in the neck pocket, it should work fine. I mentioned the intonation issue because I thought it was a regular Jag neck,; which is a short scale (30").

The deluxe 34" Jag neck should work ok.

9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

A Fender Deluxe Jag Neck should fit just fine, aside from the obviously wrong headstock decal. A 34" Squier should work OK, but those are made to a less demanding tolerance. The fit might be too tight, or too loose. You'll have no intonation issues with a 34" neck from the Fender/Squier line.

10. kev b

kev b

If you have the skills to route out a J body to fit your pickups then surely it would be simpler to repair your cracked body.
    Most bodies are glued together from 2 or 3 pieces at minimum anyway.
    Any home woodworker should be able to glue and clamp a bass body as good as new.