Jaguar Pots Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kbhag63, Mar 29, 2014.

1. kbhag63

kbhag63

Hello everyone, first post here,

I want to change out the Japanese pots on my Jaguar Deluxe with some CTS pots. The volume and tone are labeled "A250K" so I figure that's audio taper 250K ohm, the cap looks to be a .022 mf, shouldn't be difficult to install full size CTS...the problem is the side-mounted roller pots for the preamp treble and preamp bass, does anyone know if a full size will fit or do I need a mini pot? They are marked "A500K", so I'm again figuring audio taper 500Kohm.

Also, fender claims the pickups are "American Vintage Single-Coil Jazz Bass" but they have plastic coated wires...if they were AV pickups shouldn't they have cloth coated wires? Just wondering...

Thanks in advance,

Ken, CT
  2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Personally I would save my money the cts pots are probably made in the same factory or country as the ones in the bass.
  3. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

The preamp thumb wheel pots have to be the small type to fit. And better pots wont make a tone difference, but will probably last longer.
  4. darthplagis

darthplagis

remember to wire the rollers backwards. if you replace with mini pots..... the rollers run the pot backwards to what you normally use :)

as for the pickups...... i wasnt a fan of mine, dunno if they are USA or not.... but i popped basslines stacked vintage in mine :)
  5. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You definitely need mini pots for the preamp pots. They also have a very thin shaft diameter. Are you sure they're 500K and not 50K? Most preamps use 50K or 25K. I wouldn't bother changing the pots if you are happy with the way it sounds. If you decide to swap out the preamp later, you'll have to track down the correct value and sized pots
  6. darthplagis

darthplagis

the jag pre is boost only, and i definitely wired them as passive vol and tone without swapping them out.

so 250k or 500k (i dont remember now.)

pre amps for jags if you want to keep all functionality while just changing the pre is a hard task..... im still looking for a no blend or master vol pre to drop in after master vol and tone (so i can keep passive mode)...... neither 2 band or 3 or even 3 with mid sweeps..... i cant find one.