Jam of the Week

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by hepcatbassist, Feb 3, 2014.

1. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

For those of you that haven't already joined, there's a new FB group called jam of the week. Over 2,000 people are in it. Each week the leader chooses a standard for people to play over and record videos. Find it here: Facebook.com/groups/jamoftheweekgroup
    Not many bassists have posted yet. Looking forward to hearing fellow TalkBass members!

2. rdcowan

rdcowan

Can you provide a link? I searched on Facebook, but couldn't find it.

3. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

4. jmac

jmac

He probably skimmed and missed the url. At least that is what I hoped happened.;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

I think that link is correct! Sorry if I mistyped, I was going off of memory.

7. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Heh. Ppl using a backing track make me chuckle. Some of it's really good tho, even with the backing track.

9. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Oh, that's you? I listened to your clip a few times yesterday.

* Nice lines nice overall sound/tone and some use of space
    * Nice job quoting the melody - something most other people don't bother to do.

Good job - I enjoyed it.

I thought about posting my own clip but still working through want I want to get across:
    1) Soloing an entire chorus focusing on just one or two ideas. I listened to your clip and can hear at least 5 distinct (and good) ideas. You don't really follow up on any of them after fiddling with them for a little bit. I struggle with this as well.
    2) Creating an arc over the entire solo. Intro->body->climax->resolution using the entire 32 bars. At some point I like to be able to clearly define the climax of the solo. At least do something that contrasts from the rest of it.

I listened to alot of clips people posted. Lotsa notes, not much use of space, and not much use of dynamics. I usually never finish listening to any of them. After a while they all start to the same very similar, with some exceptions. That group is a good way to find out what others are doing so you don't end up sounding like them.

11. amusicbass123

amusicbass123

12. MR PC

MR PC

Nice work hepcat. You've got some really nice things happening, great lines. With some more space between you notes, your fundamental will get stronger. Not saying you should play less, just that the fundamental of your notes isn't as powerful as they could be. More fundamental equals a bigger sound and stronger groove on the bass. Again real nice work!

13. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

Yes, the creating of ideas thing is something I really need to work on. Harder to play with that when you're only allowed one chorus.
    I'm liking this group a lot. Some really good bassists have posted and normally I would get depressed about my playing but now I can appreciate that everyone has a different style!

14. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

Thank you! I'll work on that.

15. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

16. amusicbass123

amusicbass123

Thanks! Enjoyed your playing as well:bassist:

A.

17. sludgelord3000

sludgelord3000

I’ve been enjoying this FB group. It’s a fun concept and there’s a surprising number of great players contributing to it. Perhaps I’ll work up the nerve to post something (resisting the urge to do it on slab and just blow chops).

I’d actually watched both of your videos when they appeared in my feed. Hepcat, I really enjoyed your solo, it was very musical. I could feel the changes and liked that you were developing themes instead of just shredding licks. My only critique is that the click was distracting. Sounds like you’ve got good enough time to play without it.

Amusicbass123, your thumb position chops are great. Really made me want to woodshed. Did you study the Petracchi technique?

18. amusicbass123

amusicbass123

Nope. Just Simandl, my thumb position is self taught.

19. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

My time when I'm soloing can be a bit shaky. I'll try it next time w/o the metronome. I'm glad you think it was musical. To make up for my lack of chops on upright (I've been playing for 6 months), I try to play melodically rather than play a bunch of 8th notes.

20. Bodhi

Bodhi Supporting Member

21. hepcatbassist

hepcatbassist

Hah! Thanks. People always tell me to smile more. I get too focused on the task at hand.