1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jam Sessions

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Bassguy87564, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Hey Janek,
    I'm a New York City based bassist that studies Jazz and I play both the upright and bassguitar. I really like playing Jazz a lot on my bassguitar but I can't find to many situations where I can do this. I'm in a jazz style band right now where I get to play my bassguitar but I can't seem to find a jam session that does standards that I can play my bass guitar at. Pretty much all the jazz jam sessions I've been to just want upright. I guess what my question is do you know of any Jazz Jam Sessions that are bassguitar friendly? Also, did you have a hard time finding ways to make the bass guitar fit into Jazz scene? Just to sum it all up, sometimes I really want to play standards on my bassguitar with people instead of by myself.
  2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    I always found it challenging being an electric bass player and going to jam sessions in NYC. But at the end of the day I realized I just didn't like the scene regardless of the instrument I played.

So if you really want to play standards on electric bass, something you are unlikely to ever get hired for professionally, then you're best off putting together a band that does just that.

My recommendation is to work on original material as soon as you can, and start making a sound and a voice for yourself. that will stand up far longer and way stronger than anything you can do with a standard.

Janek
  3. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Awesome advice Janek!
  4. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Janek
    Thanks for the advise! I have been working on a few originals, and hoping to play them out soon.
    Jeff
  5. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Disclosures:
    International Artist: MTD Kingston basses
    This really helped me too! Thanks!