1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jam Sessions

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Bassguy87564, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Hey Janek,
    I'm a New York City based bassist that studies Jazz and I play both the upright and bassguitar. I really like playing Jazz a lot on my bassguitar but I can't find to many situations where I can do this. I'm in a jazz style band right now where I get to play my bassguitar but I can't seem to find a jam session that does standards that I can play my bass guitar at. Pretty much all the jazz jam sessions I've been to just want upright. I guess what my question is do you know of any Jazz Jam Sessions that are bassguitar friendly? Also, did you have a hard time finding ways to make the bass guitar fit into Jazz scene? Just to sum it all up, sometimes I really want to play standards on my bassguitar with people instead of by myself.

2. janekbass

janekbass

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    I always found it challenging being an electric bass player and going to jam sessions in NYC. But at the end of the day I realized I just didn't like the scene regardless of the instrument I played.

So if you really want to play standards on electric bass, something you are unlikely to ever get hired for professionally, then you're best off putting together a band that does just that.

My recommendation is to work on original material as soon as you can, and start making a sound and a voice for yourself. that will stand up far longer and way stronger than anything you can do with a standard.

Janek

3. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Awesome advice Janek!

4. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Janek
    Thanks for the advise! I have been working on a few originals, and hoping to play them out soon.
    Jeff

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Disclosures:
    International Artist: MTD Kingston basses
    This really helped me too! Thanks!