Jamareo Artis is unreal!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Killens84, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Bruno Mars' bass player, Jamareo Artis, has definitely become one of my top 5 all-time favorite bass players. His groove, feel, and tasteful playing are out of this world!

I've watched this video several times already... The bass playing from 3:53 to the end leaves me speechless. Just unreal!
  2. metalstorm

metalstorm Supporting Member

Yeah totally. Great feel and creativity.
  3. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Don't know anything about the guy, but you're right--the last bit of that was slammin'.
  4. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Hell yeah! That was awesome.....I put headphones on.
    And with choreography! :eek:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Jamereo slipped some slick fills in at the end!
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

... I knew the clip before I clicked the link... I did the same thing when I first heard it...

Great track, fantastic performance, shame that single didn't get bigger, I would have like to hear it on the radio more.
  8. Killens84

James Jamerson is my favorite bassist ever, so I say this with much respect... Jamareo Artis is the closest thing to a modern James Jamerson that I've heard; Not from that clip alone, but from the many live clips I've watched of him.

In fact, this vid here is about as close to Jamerson as it gets...
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    The kid is nasty and has come to be a great pop music bass player! One of the few who really 'get it'! I remember seeing him on P Diddy's Making The Band Show. He was already a great bass player but one of the requirements was that he needed to be able to play keyboard bass. He pretty much learned on the fly! He had a great attitude. Was probably the youngest of the bunch. Extremely talented. How many dancing, singing, playing bass players are there out there?!?!

10. Dr. Cheese

DW, thanks for posting that JRoss interview of Jamereo. I can see why that kid works so much, beyond his great talent, he has a wonderful attitude and personality. It would be hard not to like him. It was telling that he got on Bruno Mars for smoking the first time he met him. That was another indication that he truly takes music seriously.
  11. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Right place at the right time! Have you seen any of his other vids? There's one that he's playing on a Conklin! Good lawd that kid is good! There's another he's playing a Geddy Lee acoustically but he's slapping the mess outta that thing. That kid is going places!!
  12. David Jayne

David Jayne

Yep. He's a bad, bad man.
  13. Killens84

He has one of the best gigs in the world right now. I wouldn't say he's going places... I'd say he's already there (as far as landing the big gig)! It doesn't get much bigger than Bruno Mars. That guy's on top of the music industry right now.
  14. JPMo

JPMo

This video put him on the map for me. Definitely one of my favorites for sure
  15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  16. therhodeo

therhodeo

I've seen him a number of times and my biggest problem with him is that he can play extremely well and dance. I didn't get either of those talents. Who's bitter? Not this guy. :D
  17. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I say that because no gig lasts forever! Even Nathan East had a killer gig with Barry White and moved on!
  18. Dr. Cheese

I read that the Barry White gig did not pay that well, but it sure looked good on the resume!
  19. JPMo

JPMo

20. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr whatever Supporting Member

Yep, that was pretty fantastic. Great performance and especially great tasteful bass playing. It's refreshing to see real musicians playing real music at one of these shows.
  21. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I had a chance to see Bruno Mars & Co. a few months ago and let me tell you, then entire set was mind-blowing. All of those guys are INSANELY good performers individually, and the show that they put on as a live band is absolutely incredible musically and visually.

Lonnybass