Jamereo Artis, you complete beast

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SeeBread, Apr 14, 2014.

1. SeeBread

SeeBread

Yes, I know it's been said before, but this guy is quickly becoming one of my favourite bassists. I hope everyone saw him at the BRIT awards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVq1xQSjnM

Stays perfectly in the pocket the entire song (all while keeping up with the dance moves) and then turns on the face melting licks in the last round of the chorus. It's the same with every other performance I've seen him in, it's like Jamerson on speed. He just blows me away.

This guy really needs more recognition.
  2. Alex J

Alex J Supporting Member

Such great playing! And that gold P bass is something else :)
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

That was an awesome performance. The key was that his groove was tight throughout. He did not throw in any licks until the very end which was key to making them sound so cool. If he had tossed in the licks too early or too often, he would not have been able to groove so tightly, and he definitely would have lost something in his choreography.
  4. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Great point. He really know when to play and when not to play. He is pretty new to the scene but a total pro, showman AND chops.

I wish he had more studio work out there but I guess he will soon. The studio version of Mars' songs sound nuetered compared to when Jamareo does his thing with them.
  5. SeeBread

SeeBread

Interesting that he doesn't show anything on the albums. It almost makes the live performances more coveted!

On a slight tangent, I've started to really respect Bruno Mars' whole outfit for their musicianship and style. They've really got the whole James Brown vibe nailed, and the quality of their live work is superb. I think he gets a lot of undeserved flak.
  6. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Agreed. The whole band is stellar and quite frankly Bruno Mars was really not on my radar or something I tend to listen to but since noticing his bass player, I am digging the entire act. Musically and visually.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Jamereo is actually on Bruno's studio stuff. I will search it out to confirm.
  7. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Was just thinking to myself "I don't hear him turning anything on in the last chorOHHHHHHHHH SNAP."
  8. SteveC

SteveC

Live Bruno is FAR better than studio Bruno.

I agree. I don't think he's trying to hide the fact that he's influenced by James Brown and other stuff that gets mentioned. He puts on a good show with real musicians and is very upbeat. Nothing wrong with that.
    MoeGJBeener likes this.
  9. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I love Bruno Mars' music simply because of Jamareo! He is the MAN.
  10. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

I'm not crazy about Bruno's lyrics, but eh, it's pop. Whattaya gonna do?

Instrumentally, melodically, visually, he and his band are absolutely top-notch and it's especially crazy considering how young they are. I think my next assignment for myself will be to learn some Jamareo basslines.
  11. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

Got tickets to see them July 11th. I'm pretty excited.