1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

James Jamerson...and me.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HCEarwicker, Dec 14, 2013.

1. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

Hi all,

I've been trying to upload mp3s of me covering JJ's lines on a few Motown classics, but without success. Admin were v helpful, but why I've had no luck attaching remains a mystery.

So I've set up my own blog (soundcloud proved inappropriate for other reasons) -

http://malcolmmarkovich.blogspot.co.uk/

The blog won't only be about bass/music, but the first post has 4 Motown tracks with me covering JJ's bass.

I'm reading straight from 'Standing In The Shadows Of Motown'. All done in a bit of a hurry...the usual excuses.

So, if you fancy...
  2. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

A kind soul has informed me that some browsers (Chrome, for example) might give you a “multiple download’ warning when you click on the blog, or on the first post. That’s true – that's the four embedded soundfiles. Nothing's being saved to your computer, only downloaded onto the blog page. Takes just a few seconds to fully load. It’s all perfectly kosher. Promise.
  3. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

Thanks to those of you who've taken a look and, I guess, had a listen.

Any questions?

Like...

'What strings/pickups/bass/amp/mic/software do you use'?
    'How do you get that that crazy pick+fingers sound on Home Cookin'?
    'Wanna join my band?'
    'Why did you bother?'...
  4. Chazinroch

Chazinroch Supporting Member

Very nice!!
  5. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

Thanks, Chazinroch. Appreciated.
  6. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

OK. Having posted that, I've been reliably informed that clicking on the blog page does start a download of the files to your computer - so that you'll find the files in the 'downloads' of your browser even after you've closed the tab. At least, that's happened to one guy using chrome (it doesn't happen to me, in ff or chrome). The files are clean, but it must be a hassle to have to delete them after you've been to the blog.

I'd appreciate it if some brave bassist would check if this is happening to them, too. If it is and you know of a way round it (or even if you don't), please let me know. Cheers.

[Edit: The link's in the first post]
  7. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

8. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

It really doesn't work well. The blog, that is. The music is very good. So, what was your setup? Bass, strings, amp, settings, etc?
  9. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

Hi tekdiver500ft,

Bass: DeArmond/Guild Starfire (stock, played with fingers throughout)
    Strings: Pyramid Gold flatwound short-scale.
    Amp: (pre-Fender) SWR workingman's 12, mic'd with I don't know what - a friend engineered the recording using ProTools.

Oh! (2nd edit) I used a bridge sponge mute on Home Cookin and How Sweet It Is.

...thanks for asking ;)

But you didn't answer my question about the downloading. "It really doesn't work well" doesn't really tell me much. What doesn't work well?
  10. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

I thought I'd gotten away without automatic downloading (in Safari), so I clicked a link, and it started playing, I closed that player, and it kept playing. When it was done, the next one automatically started. I tried to circumvent that by starting another number, and then I had two playing simultaneously. I had to close the browser entirely to make it stop.
  11. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

Ah so...

I just checked with a couple of other people and their experience was different. No automatic, unstoppable playing, no saved downloads. All cool. I guess it has to do with how your computer/browser is set up? (I get none of those issues in chrome or ff [Edit...on a PC] ).

Thanks for the feedback.
  12. nsams73

nsams73

I just used ff and got blank white spaces where your tunes were supposed to be. I couldn't click on or hear anything.
  13. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker