James Jamerson's Upright???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Elixar17, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Elixar17

Elixar17

Hey,

Can someone tell me all that there is know about James Jamerson's German Upright bass?

Eg: Craftsman, Identifying features, Links to identical Uprights. Honestly anything about his upright that could help me find one like it!

Thank You So Much!
    Elixar
  2. Martin Beer

Martin Beer

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

James Jr. had it up for auction a few years ago. The link may still be online.
  4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

I believe it's a Roth - pretty middle of the road German carved bass - 3/4. The only remarkable thing is the past ownership. I think he began playing at Motown with this bass too.

Ike
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

It was indeed an Ernst Heinrich Roth, a carved German factory bass. It has the distinctive "EHR" monogrammed shield on the back which makes it easy to identify in photos. Charles Mingus also played a E. H. Roth bass, although his was made in the 1920's during the period when the company was in located in Markneukirchen and actually overseen by it's namesake. James Jamerson's bass was probably made in Bubenreuth where E. H. Roth's son reestablished the company after WWII. The company is still being run E. H. Roth's son and grandson.

I own a carved E.H. Roth from 1960 and I like to think it shares some common ancestry with James Jamerson's favored instruments :)

- Steve
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014