1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

James Tyler Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zortation, Feb 26, 2012.

1. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

Hey everybody, I thought I'd give this a whirl and see if we can get an official Tyler club started. :hyper:

My story goes like this. I had the opportunity to play a four string J version with split coils and I'll never forget how it sounded, especially with that astounding Demeter preamp. So it's been a dream of mine to one day own one of these, and since we keep hearing stories about what is or isn't happening with his line of basses--they are "out of print" so to speak--I thought it might be a good idea to start an official James Tyler Club.

As most people know, if one does a search for "Tyler" they'll find several (sadly) short threads, all of them sharing one thing in common, all of them contain extremely high praise for these instruments. There are few owners here, but this thread isn't necessarily for just people who own one. It's also for people who want them back!

Hopefully, this will be a place where people can share pics, rumours, emails, experiences, all related to Tyler basses, one of the most sought after basses. And maybe, just MAYBE, somebody might be listening :ninja:

So, without further adieu...welcome to the

TYLER
    TYLER
    TYLER
    TYLER
    TYLER
    TYLER
    TYLER
    TYLER
    TYLER

Bass Club :D

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it's going to be a pretty small club, but I'll sign up Bill Sharpe by proxy.

[​IMG]

3. zortation

I don't doubt it will be small, but the love is big. I sense a wave of interest will soon coalesce around this thread and make it one of the greatest bass-related threads ever created.

:D

The Tyler Bass Club welcomes Bill Sharpe as their newest member. Welcome Bill.

4. zortation

This has to be THEE smallest bass club on here. And I'll bet neither of us even own a Tyler.

:oops:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TerryPeeps

TerryPeeps

I have a James Tyler 5-string (Abe model) ... would love to become a member!!

~Thanks

7. zortation

Alright, great! I knew it was only a matter of a year or so before somebody would want to join! What's she look like?

Post a pic and you'll get your membership. :)

8. john m

john m Supporting Member

He's one of my favorite singers.

Always uses great bassists.

I'll join the club.

9. TerryPeeps

TerryPeeps

10. TerryPeeps

TerryPeeps

They call that color 'cinnamon'... but it's awful close to a Harley orange. :) Hope this will be enough to get me added to the club... thanks!!

11. zortation

It's beautiful...Congrats!

1. TerryPeeps - Abe Laboriel 5-String

:)

12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Very funny, wise guy.

A guy I play with has a Tyler guitar, very nice instrument. In fact, Tyler was very cool because my friend had his guitar stolen (actually 4 guitars stolen, all nice, but including his Tyler) and Tyler sent him a replacement on spec! Very nice guy.

I've always wondered about getting one of his basses. But I already have enough nice basses.

13. TerryPeeps

TerryPeeps

Thanks so much! Honored to be an official James Tyler bass club member! :hyper:

14. zortation

Honoured to have you aboard!

15. TerryPeeps

TerryPeeps

I appreciate it! Just fyi, I originally bought the bass after finding out that Gary Lunn had one and was using it on a lot of the Nashville CCM stuff he was playing on. I had met him years ago when he was touring, and have followed his career as he become much in demand as a session bassist. I looked for the bass for quite awhile before finding it on eBay... of all places. Took a chance and won the bid, and it showed up in 'like new' condition with nary a mark on it. The bass has tone for days, an amazingly crisp top end and tons of bottom. Really sounds great on 'tape' and never fails to get compliments from engineers. It's a bit of a catch-22 though, since I love to play it but have to be really careful about where I take it. They're really hard to find, and sure would hate to try to replace it if stolen or damaged in transit. I helped a friend sell his about 3 years ago, and looking back.. should have bought it myself as a backup. Hopefully one of these days Tyler will crank back up the production of these basses, I don't think he'd have any trouble selling them!

16. zortation

Oh what the heck...here's a few from the Tyler Guitars finish archive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TerryPeeps

TerryPeeps

Those basses are gorgeous! Love seeing the amazing finishes on his instruments, it's like artwork!

18. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

He must have been on drugs when he thought that dropping his name 100 times on the already untraditional headstock was a good idea :bag:

19. zortation

:oops:

I think it was a stroke of genius, personally.

:cool:

20. B String

B String Supporting Member

21. bassarama

bassarama

Come on man.....Jim Tyler likely does NOT DO DRUGS (I hung out with him at NAMM 1999 Anaheim), AND I couldn't count his name being dropped on the headstock of his guitars OR basses a 100 times as you claim :meh::meh:

However in all fairness we are all entitled to our own opinions and TASTE, but diplomacy, tact and the eschewing of sarcasm and hurtful comments should not be a part of our comments in general :rollno::rollno:

NOW in all modesty the bass that is displayed in the avatar of the user whose comment appears at top is a very UNATTRACTIVE bass to me--The WARWICK DOLPHIN and in a blink I would be all over a TYLER, if the choice were only between the 2 of them :)

Now in the spirit and good intent I feel this TYLER CLUB was started let me add:

1. I custom ordered and owned a 4 string TYLER. I got to pick my own color. Bone light in weight, played perfectly in tune and of course killer electronics. I believe that bass is now in Texas somewhere. In a blink I would buy it back.
    2. There was a guitar on consignment at a vintage shop here in Toronto that I played that floored me, and was going for only $1900. When I went back to BUY IT-the shop stated that the owner came to his senses and came and retrieved it.
    3. I did spend considerable time at the TYLER booth at NAMM 1989, and after spending 2 days trying guitars by all of the heavies ( Fender, Gibson, Tom Anderson, Valley Arts etc.)---by far the TYLER was the most astonishing guitar to play. I had asked Jim in awe and disbelief " How do you do this man " ? he was ever so humble and just shrugged his shoulders.
    4. Bill Sharpe is a friend of mine and lived in Toronto for a stint and had one of the funkiest groups ever to reside here from North Carolina called Hell In High Water. Bill is a killer player and of course.. a real nice guy !
    5. Another local ace player John Dyment ( came to my studio to try my TYLER 4) has or had a TYLER 5.
    6. I spoke with Neil Stubenhaus on the phone after I first heard him playing his butt off on a Roberta Flack tune "Aah Oo Oo Here It Comes ". CHECK THIS TUNE OUT for serious groove and the distinct sound of the TYLER STUBENHAUS Model ( P-J pickups ). Also check NEIL on Quincy Jones tune "In The Garden" killin' it on his TYLER 5 !!!

Anybody that has a TYLER--plz hold onto it
    Anybody that wants to sell one PLZ contact me. :bassist: