1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Janek... Boss PN-2 help?

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by adamsmatthewj, Sep 12, 2013.

1. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Hey man!
    I know you use an old Boss PN-2 and I wanted to ask what you do to work around the inherent noise it makes. I recently got one and am having great fun using it, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way to suppress the noise from the tempo that comes through when the pedal is on but I'm not playing a note... You can def hear the "bump bump bump" faintly.
    I have a similar thing happen with my old boss flanger.
    Wondered if u run it in a loop with a gate, if u found a mod to silence it, or if u just deal and work around it.
    Vintage pedals are just too darn cool!
  2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    I know just what you're talking about, but it really doesn't bother me at all. I really don't use vintage pedals like the PN-2 to be clean and silent... If I'm looking for a really clean sound with true bypass I'm going to go with a modern pedal, and I generally wouldn't be playing the same kind of music with a modern pedal as I would with the vintage stuff.

Janek
  3. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Awesome answer, thank you! I may or may not be guilty of overthinking things sometimes lol
    Gotta take the good with the bad when it comes to left-of-center vintage pedals.

I remedied this by adding another brand's more modern version of a PN-2 to my collection for times when that background noise wouldn't be acceptable. Doesn't quite have the same break-off as the Boss, but it still pretty well makes my bass sound like a grooving helicopter!