Janek Gwizdala

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by markjsmithbass, Feb 3, 2014.

1. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

I just mentioned Janek in a thread about improv so thought I'd kick back and watch a few vids of him. I've seen this video quite a few times before but today it really stood out to me how lyrical his improvisation is:

Hadrien has got chops beyond chops but, for me, in this jam I much prefer listening to Janek. I know its a different instrument and style but his tone and phrasing kind of reminds me of Eric Johnson.

If I was going to give an example of an improvising bass player worth analysing to a student, I'd definitely let them know about Janek.
  2. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor

I've always considered Janek one of the most lyrical players on the planet...
  3. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Both great players, for sure. I also preferred Janek in that clip. He used fewer notes but said more.

I can still hear a couple of the cool licks he stuck in there, while Feraud's blow was more like a "wash of notes" - technically correct and God knows way beyond anything I could do, but somehow less memorable.
  4. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Janek seems the more emotional player versus Hadrien's cerebral approach.

You can tell by the dancing!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Yeah man, living in LA I hear Hadrian a lot, sometimes he even shows up at the same jam session...and he's a complete bad ass player, nice guy too. However it did seem Janek was much more comfortable in this particular setting.
  7. Groove Master

Groove Master

A bass player is supposed to play bass! The only one playing bass here is Janek, even if he overplays during the keys solo, but that seems to be the deal in these kind of settings :)
  8. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

We better ask stick first!!!! yo!
  9. GastonD

GastonD

I like 'em both, and if they were similar in their approaches the whole thing would not have been as interesting. Still, I also like Janek's soling style better.

However, Hadrien's approach is a good fit for the bands/projects he has been involved with...
  10. Groove Master

Groove Master

LOL