1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Janky-A Rigs of Doom

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by S.Harrison, Dec 18, 2010.

1. S.Harrison

S.Harrison

Alright, I've been viewing all the high-end rigs, the rigs of doom, the mini rigs of doom, the Rigs of the Impending Nuclear Apocolypse, but I haven't had any luck finding budget/basement janky-a$$ rigs of, well, doom. Show me your mis-matched, ugly, inexpensive or oddball rigs, combos etc. In keeping with the theme of the thread, I'll post a crappy cellphone pic of my JARoD, taken in low light in my basement. On the bottom is a Crate BE18 I picked up on the cheap today, with a Behringer BB210 on top of that. Powering it all is a Madison PHAT-210 head (400w, tube/ss, direct out, loop etc) that I got off ebay. For good measure I made sure to include my Carlo Robelli that I paid $190 for at Sam Ash a few years ago and was actually my main gigging bass for awhile. The active soapbars actually sound pretty good and the bass as a whole plays very well (for a sub-$200 bass). Not pictured is the ZOOM 708 I just scored for 20 bux. I gotta say that while not botique (duh), the rig sounds pretty good now that it's got some low end to it. And for the blues/rock band I'm working with along with the, er, "quality" of potential venues nearby I think it'll do quite well.
    [​IMG]

huckleberry1 likes this.
  2. Standalone

Standalone

I'm glad this thread exists. I don't have anything janky enough these days to post.

3. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

totally awesome S.Harrsion ;)

4. S.Harrison

S.Harrison

I try. In all honesty, part of why I posted this was because for a young newb or someone on a tight budget (such as myself) all of the "Rig" threads can be somewhat intimidating when you consider the cost of admission. I'm obviously not expecting to be playing arenas with this set up, but for smaller rock or blues-oriented venues you don't NEED to break the bank to be heard. Especially with a direct out.:D

All of that being said, I DO appreciate the standards met by higher-end stuff (I AM a former Trace Elliot owner, afterall) and certainly wouldn't hesitate to upgrade if there weren't more pressing financial needs at home. Or if I were being paid substantially to play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    dude, i'll be honest, i've played arenas with rigs that were almost as low budget.

7. S.Harrison

S.Harrison

Key word being "almost". :D

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    heck, any non-endorsed country guy does every show ... ancient old Peavey Musician and a 2x15 ...

9. S.Harrison

S.Harrison

Well show it off, man!

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    This is pretty old at this point. Cheapest cab in the store and a Ashdown combo I saved up for, with Behringer rack effects:

[​IMG]

huckleberry1 likes this.
  11. Standalone

Standalone

less talk, more jank.

12. St Drogo

St Drogo

[​IMG]

My trusty Yammy with my Peavey Mark III. Janky doom's cheap, dirty uncle.

13. S.Harrison

S.Harrison

If that's Janky's cheap, dirt uncle, mine is the bastard child no one wants to admit exists. Nice stuff.

14. Fine Cut

Fine Cut

[​IMG]

a pretty good "guy and his rig" pic, me thinks. it's an Ibanez 100W combo with a no-name PA cab on top. the signal was split between the two 15"s...you'd be surprised how big of a room 100w & 2x15"s can fill :D

...the evolution of this rig saw the no-name PA cab replaced by a Fender Rumble 2x10. that was equally deathly >:D

15. S.Harrison

S.Harrison

Very nice, Fine Cut. Bonus "Jank Points" for rockin a "budget" bass, though I loved my OLP MM3 for the time that I had it.

As an aside, I'm debating whether or not to piant the grilles (or cover them with grillecloth) and put the head in a mount with a tuner. On the other hand, it kinda adds mojo to the jankiness, no?

16. Mjury02

Mjury02

Damn, I wish I had a pic of my fender 1x15 combo bass to my newly converted 1x15 fender airhead.

17. St Drogo

St Drogo

Awesome. Sounds like our rigs would have a real awkward christmas dinner :D

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

I thought there was already a "low budget rigs of doom" thread on here somewhere...guess they just weren't "janky-ass rigs of doom" (first time I've ever heard that word! LOL).

19. perogato02

perogato02

20. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I need an 'family pic' with all my crap... but here's my old standby that got me through 3 consecutive years of near full-time touring.

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

21. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

is that a aria pro xrb. if so then that makes 2 of us

[​IMG]