1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Japan Bass VI porblems...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dzaneh, Jan 6, 2014.

1. dzaneh

dzaneh Supporting Member

the low E on mine sounds funky...not in a good way...
    hard to get it in tune on my tuner , then when I finally get it there i sounds "off"...
    my tuner will only show when I hold the strings at the 12th fret to tune 'em but it should be in tune everywhere...maybe I just got a lemon...
  2. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Bad string?
  3. dzaneh

dzaneh Supporting Member

hadn't thought of that...
    I'm try'n to look for specs on 'em see what size strings it uses

you know of a tuner that would work on these without tuning at 12th fret?
  4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I tried out one of the Japanese Bass VI's in a store a couple of weeks ago. The one thing that struck me was just how heavy it was. Be that as it may...

It sounds like you're having an issue either at the nut or the bridge with the E string. Based on your tuning issues I'd say that you probably need to intonate that particular string. Are these the stock strings, or a new set of strings?
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Many people are finding that the stock E string is too light to work properly.
    They're just too floppy.
    Once you get a good string on there, any tuner that works with a standard tuned bass should work with the VI.
  6. dzaneh

dzaneh Supporting Member

stock strings...
    I see the "pawn shop" version comes with .84 low E...
    and the "Squire" version comes with .95 low E...
    been try'n to see what the Japan version came with but haven't had any luck so far
  7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I recall someone measured the strings on their squier and it was a 0.084, not 0.095. Very few makers are selling bass VI sets and Fender only sells bass VI sets at 0.084 so I think the ad copy on the squier is just a mistake. I have a set of strings from circle K with either an 0.094 or 0.098 (can't recall what I ordered) on my low string, they're very well made and sound good.
  8. dzaneh

dzaneh Supporting Member

yeah I was look'n at some Labella's... .95's