Japanese Jazz - Help me date it...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dimmies, Nov 30, 2012.

1. dimmies

dimmies

I picked up a 2nd hand Japanese Jazz which has on the front of the headstock the following: Fender Jazz Bass and "Made In Japan" under the Jazz Bass logo.

The serial number is on the heel of the neck. It begins with "R" followed by 6 digits.

Looking on all the sites, there is no "Made in Japan" with a "R" + 6 digits serial number, there is only the "Crafted In Japan" with the "R" + 5 digits serial number.

Any ideas on how to decipher this Japanese Jazz Bass? I'm totally stumped!:help:
  2. dimmies

dimmies

3. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

R+0 +5 digits (which is what you have) is a 2002-06 serial. I have a '75 reissue with a Q+ 0+ 5 digits that was made in 2002 or 03... It also says 'Made in Japan'
  4. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Flowers, movie and dinner should do the trick :bag:

Sorry had to go there
  5. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

+1; I dated a Mexican Jazz once and traded her for a Japanese Jaguar. We are still very happy going to gigs and being tuned to B Standard. She does not seem to mind going down that low......
    :bag:
  6. dimmies

dimmies

:D I like that answer... :D
  7. dimmies

dimmies

SJ Bass, where did you find out that from? The websites I've been to tell me that a MIJ Q + 6 digits is 1993-1994.

I cannot find any reference to any MIJ "R" + 6 digits serial numbers. :meh:
  8. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

9. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Take the neck off.....mystery solved.
  10. kenjikun

kenjikun

To dimmies,

Your jazz bass was made in 2004-2006. It was actually made during the "Crafted in Japan" era (1997-2008). However, you might be confused why there is a MADE IN JAPAN at the headstock. That is true to all Standard Jazz bass JB-STD and Precision PB-STD models made during the first generation of MADE IN JAPAN and CRAFTED IN JAPAN era as well as JB-75 only. On Standard models, there is a MADE IN JAPAN at the headstock while the serial number is stamped at the back of the neck near the pocket. On JB-75, there is a MADE IN JAPAN and serial at the headstock then CRAFTED IN JAPAN or MADE IN JAPAN stamped at the back of the headstock. I have a JB-75 R serial that has a MADE IN JAPAN and serial at the headstock then CRAFTED IN JAPAN at the back of the neck. All other Jazz and Precision models have the CRAFTED or MADE IN JAPAN and serial at the back of the neck only. HOWEVER, the new Standard models that appear after the CRAFTED IN JAPAN era (now is back to MADE IN JAPAN) the MADE IN JAPAN at the headstock is gone and moved at the back of the neck near the pocket together with serial numbers.

Did I explain it clear?

By the way, Standard models can be easily identified through the headstock logo (white Fender decal with plain fonts for Precision or Jazz Bass) and the satin finish of the neck.

Living here in Japan gives me a deeper understanding of Fender Japan as well as access to models not even appearing in catalogs or even at their official websites.

To shrimpflea

Fender Japan stopped putting date codes on neck at the beginning of 1990's.
  11. dimmies

dimmies

Kenjikun, thanks heaps for the explanation. The serial number is on the heal near the neck pocket. So if I am understanding you correctly, I have a Standard Jazz that was made during the MIJ / CIJ transition. Correct?

However, you mentioned the Standard models have a white Fender decal with the plain fonts. Mine (as shown in the attachment) is a black / gold font.

Do you know by any chance what finish was used? Nitro or poly? I have a small chip in the finish and it seems like the black paint is extremely thin, I can see the 'sealer' under it.
  12. dimmies

dimmies

Thanks so much for you expertise! Much appreciated. :hyper:

Also want to add that I'm only seeking this information for my own understanding. The main thing is this bass sounds awesome. It is a real nice player and that's the most important thing!
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Here is what I found.

Your guitar was made at the
    Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
    in the Year(s): 2004 - 2005

Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation
    Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation was opened in may 1960, they initially started manufacturing violins and quickly switched to classical guitar production. In 1962 electric guitar construction was started. Fujigen has a reputation for excellent quality and craftsmanship so the guitars they produce are highly regarded. They produce guitars via OEM for famous brands such as Ibanez, Epiphone, Yamaha and Fender (the import Special Interest Group nature model), G&L and others.
  14. Darren Low

Darren Low

Hahahahaha
  15. kenjikun

kenjikun

Yes!

The Standard models made during the MIJ/CIJ eras have either Black/White decal or Black/Gold like yours. The new Standard models only have Black/White decal

Polyurethane. Fender Japan uses poly on all models except the JB62VSP Jazz bass models and PB62VSP Precision models which has top coat lacquer (but still has polyurethane base coat).