Jared Leto from the band Thirty Seconds To Mars wins Best Supporting Actor Oscar

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. Milk

Milk

I can't tell if your post thinks its a good thing or bad thing. I think this was the worst part of the oscars. I have a lifelong (nearly lifelong, closing on twenty years now) hatred of Jared Leto and both his acting and music skills. I should let it go but i can't, it's one of these things. I had to put it on mute when he gave his speech. Though, i wish i hadn't, apparently it was very self-centered.

3. Richland123

Richland123

I don't know anything about Jared Leto's music or acting. I just posted it because he is in a band and won an Oscar.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

He played a good smackhead in Requiem for a Dream. That's the sum of my knowledge on Jared Leto.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

No love for Jordan Catalano? I like him as an actor... that is it.

7. hover

hover

Right? He was an "actor" first.
    30S-T-Mars is abysmal.

8. Milk

Milk

Yep, this is when my hatred started. To be fair, i had a huge crush on Angela Chase.... no but even beyond that, i still didnt then and don't now rate him as an actor.

I will say this, i think he looks creepy and despite what some women feel, i wouldnt want to look like him (my gf hates his face and him in general too, and thank god for that i don't think i could have lived with that, nevermind her, otherwise), but i AM jealous of how young he looks for someone 40 over. I want to look as young at his age. Not like him. But as young.

And frankly, 30 second to mars was gross, i mean there he was pretending to be an emo teen with the makeup and all and he was like 35...come on. And the image is what sold their records too, i dont care what anyone says.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    He was fantastic in that film. Great movie, and great job by all the actors. You know Matthew McConoughy won Best Actor for his role in the same film, right?

10. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

You may not like him, but it's pretty rare that a bad actor slips in there and wins an oscar by accident. Selling a few million albums with limited talent is more prevalent, but still a rare bird.

Congrats Mr. Leto, may we all be so unfortunate as to have your talent and success. I do prefer when you act under your other name, Jason Schwartzman.

11. Milk

Milk

Im torn because i like Jean Marc Vallee (the director, fellow french canadian, started here, see C.R.A.Z.Y, its often on american tv apparently i'm told, for some reason) and like McConaughey but cant stand Leto. So either i'll see the film and try to overlook the fact he's in there. Or won't.... well did watch the whole of Mr. Nobody and Leto was the lead in that...i suppose i can do it again.

Does a terrible fate befall his character in this film? There would be that to look forward to at least...like fight club american psycho and to a lesser extent, Requiem for a dream (though that film annoys me way beyond leto being in it).

12. Milk

Milk

That is bs and you have to know it. Sandra Bullock? Come on, Sandra Bullock? A good actress? In what world?.... Halle Berry? Ok sure, she was good in Monster's ball. Or at least serviceable. And that's the only time she was ever good. Won for a sex scene more than anything if you ask me. The list goes on, i just can't be bothered to review all the past wins and drag it on. But bad actors slip in there and win oscars fairly frequently. I won't be convinced otherwise. Even some good actors win for bad acting. Al Pacino for scent of a woman. Pacino parodying himself. I couldn't believe he won for whatever it was he was doing in that film. Ok so they gave it to him cause he should have won one way back in the 70's. But by that point it was like a bad joke (and he only got worse later).

And I dont know what Leto has to do with Schwartzman. Acting or look wise. Not that Schwartzman is great but at least he's had some funny films.

13. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

He's a good actor.

His band sucks though.

14. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Dude, have you actually seen Dallas Buyers Club?

15. 6jase5

Personally I liked Sandra Bullock in certain roles (including Gravity) so we'll have to part ways on this one. 80+ Oscar years with best actor/actress, supporting actor/actress (not sure how long each has been a category)...bound to be at least a few without everyone in agreement.

Remember who makes up the academy....peers, friends and colleagues of the nominated. About 3000-4000 actually vote last I heard and until this year only in their field or category. Small clusters picking winners can make for odd decisions and you know there is "oscar lobbying".

Just a joke........
    [​IMG]

16. 6jase5

Yes. It wasn't my favorite. I have voting friends with nice viewing rooms so I've seen many of the nominated films. Mr. Hublot is worth the time, preferably on a large quality screen/tv. I hope it somehow becomes a full length film...mind blowing good.

17. Milk

Milk

Ok well its more in the hair (both head and facial) then the actual face though. you know who looks JUST THE F like Jared Leto? This terrible folk singer called Joshua james, hold on i'll find you a pic..

[​IMG]

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Ed Norton also beats the living crap out of him in Fight Club.

He did do a great job in Dallas Buyers' Club, though; this was one of the wins I felt was right (Pharrell got robbed)

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Same here, he was really good in that. Yes, I've heard he's been in other stuff, like that teen series in the '90s and his band, but I've never seen/heard any of that.

20. Milk

Milk

Or as I like to call it.........THE BEST PART OF THE MOVIE!!!!

That and him getting killed with an axe in American Psycho, unfortunately, that doesn't make it on camera. such a shame.

he gets his arm hacked off in Requiem too which would be good if it wasn't that I really don't like this film and Leto is not even the main reason for it.