Jasmine by Takamine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matungo, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Matungo

Matungo

Hi! I am still searching for an acoustic bass and found a Jasmine by Takamine one which looks really good. What do you think? I heard Takamine is an excellent brand, but I have never played any bass by them. Does it sound loud enough to play unplugged with a guitar/practice on my own? Thanks!

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

I have one of these basses from the first year or two they were offered. Its a lower end Takamine bass with a large body. Not as loud as the regular Tak's that have better wood, and the preamp sucks butt. HOWEVER!!! My (very old) Jasmine feels and plays better than most upper end basses I've played. I always use a Sansamp Acoustic di as a preamp and because of the laminated wood that doesn't breath much, I can play at higher volume with no feedback.

Since it is a larger body bass, with the right strings and set up
    you can get some volume out of it but its still not as loud as a Boulder Creek or Tacoma unplugged.
    I've been very impressed with the newer Takamine basses.

3. Matungo

Matungo

Thanks! I check it personally this afternoon and "see" how it works

4. MD

MD

From what I remember, There are two Jasmine models, the ES50 and ES100. The 50 had lousy reviews, but the 100's were very good. The reviews were on Harmony Central.

I have a Takamine G series. Good ABG, solid build, can be heard around a campfire and in the living room in front of the TV.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Hey MD, I'm just curious, what strings are you using on your ABG?

[​IMG]

They look like tapewounds.
    Is it really that loud?
    I've got some mystery flats on my ABG, and it's not quite as loud as I thought it would be.

To the OP, I've never played a Jasmine bass, but I do have a Jasmine acoustic guitar that I love.

7. lundborg

lundborg

I have one, Korean made, bought it like 15 years ago. It's nice to play, only thing with it is that the bridge has lifted a little.

About the brand name though, I understand that most MIK ABG brands came out of the same factory, with little more than cosmetic differences. It's not like it's built in the Takamine factory.

8. MD

MD

They're LaBella tapewounds, 760N.
    Loudness is relative, but I can say that I been heard noodling by people in a campsite ~70' away.