1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jauqo III-X in Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Our resident virtuoso/historian Jauqo III-X is featured the Buzz section of the latest BP. The story is about last Fall's Detroit Bass Fest.
  2. Rocker949

Rocker949

That's great. Very good to hear about that.
  3. Timmah

Timmah

I saw that, and couldn't believe that's actually his name.
    Either way, cool to see a TBer in print.
  4. fmoore200

fmoore200

Awesome! Congrats Jauqo..
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Congrats, Jauqo!!!

:bassist::bassist::bassist:
  6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thanks guys and I'm just doing my duty as a bassist.

Here's a clip from the Detroit bass fest 2012.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I picked the wrong time to let my subscription lapse! Nice, Jauqo!
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Jauqo has been in BP for years, just turn to the ads section.
  9. JimK

JimK

...and J had his album (The Low C# Theory) reviewed a few years ago in one of the other bass rags...
  10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

The editor of BP at the time Bill Leigh did the review of that CD and he did not like it. I believe if the cd was from a more known bass player with companies behind me putting out half or full page adds it would have gotten a different review.

Here's a few tracks from The Low C# Theory recording.

And here is JimK's review of my CD The Low C# Theory. (thank you Jim).

I have had some time now with Jauqo's disc. I am definitely into the "Free", creating while on the spot playing... something very difficult to pull off convincingly. I found it interesting that the guitarists could neither see nor hear each other while the actual playing/recording these pieces. Reminds me a little of the technique Jaco used to record "Crisis"... Jaco would feed snippets into each players' headphones as they added their part (FWIW, "Crisis" was NOT a LIVE/everybody playing at once experiment). Jauqo's album is a ONE-take, free-for-all endeavor... totally unlike "Crisis" in that regard.

In Jauqo's liner notes, he sez drummer Ernie Adams had just come off the road with Al DiMeola... it sounds like it. Adams is hitting on all cylinders; he is a beast (note all the pieces kick off with the drums establishing some direction).

Jauqo's bass is very clean & tight. I did try to listen ONCE while in my car... you may owe me a new set of speakers! To me, much of the grooves were in a driving Rock-Fusion style. Maybe, MAYBE, a little more variation in 'feel' with some more 'dymnamics' would help seperate some of the pieces' energy... at times, I almost felt as though I was listening to one long piece (& there's certainly nothing wrong with that). Jauqo sez this was the 1st time he had played with Ernie Adams; they do have much sympatico goin' on... you can hear each player feeding & feeding off the other. Very, very happenin'.

The two guitarists are panned left/right. DaLawn Simpson sounds like he's outta the Sonny Sharrock/Pete Cosey/Hendrix/Vernon Reid school. He's got using the nasty feedback as a sonic tool in order to paint a picture down. Hope you guys got my drift with that... Kudazi Kasambira has a different approach (at least what I heard on this disc). Sometimes, I'm reminded of a 'funkier' Andy Summers. The contrast between the 2 guitarists is startling... but it totally works. ...

And to differ somewhat about being "too Free", on a whole, Jauqo's recording settles into a groove... i.e. it's never really that noizy (like, say, Peter Brotzmann's Dare Devil). There are some bombastic moments, though.

So, I do recommend The Low C# Theory for those adventurous enough to try something different. It is a beautiful recording; everything is clear as a bell. For a "Free" & improvised venture, the pieces really flow (#3 may be my personal favourite) ... in other words, I'm not getting the kinda headache I seem to get after a Last Exit listening experience. Fact is, The Low C# Theory has grown on me with each listen.

Thanks, Jauqo! - JimK
  11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
  12. cnltb

cnltb

Well done!
    How did this come about?
  13. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Congrats! Bass sounds great too.
  14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Thanks.
  15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Thank you, How did what come about (and no I'm not being sarcastic)?

Thank you RedMoses.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

How did you getting into bassplayer come about?
    I have not read the magazine for quite some time, hence the question?
    I'm sure if I knew the article I'd not have asked
    Well done once more! :)
  17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

To be honest I don't know but I think I got in there only because they had no choice :) since Nate Watts and Doug Johns (and Bill Clements) were on the concert bill.

And thanks again.
  18. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Great feature on Jacquo, and also cool to hang with him at NAMM! Way to go my friend!
  19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
  20. rtav

rtav

Nice goin Jauqo - always soundin AWESOME!