Jay Weaver with Raul Malo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Media:
    I saw Jay Weaver on bass with Raul Malo last Friday at the Queen in Wilmington, DE. Tone and taste for days. And without a full band you could hear every delicious note. Go see these guys if you get a chance!

2. T Bassman

T Bassman tysonmaiko.com Supporting Member

Oh man JD Weaver is a killer player and super nice dude as well!

I played a festival a couple years back that he and Raul were playing as well, so I had a nice hang with him and the band. Definitely an underrated player both as far as his note choice, technique and tone.

Was he playing that beat up, faded 78' Antigua P bass with the maple board? That bass sounded like thunder live!

3. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Media:
    He was playing a sunburst O with a maple neck through an Ampeg Portabass rig, mic'd through the house. The sound was huge. I spent the better part of that night thinking about how solid of a foundation he was laying down, while still being very artful in his note choices. He is the total package. Definitely an inspiring performance.

4. T Bassman

T Bassman tysonmaiko.com Supporting Member

Awesome! Ya that dude knows where and when to use his notes. He talked a lot to me about the importance of his stage volume when playing with Raul, and the importance of retaining your tone, as opposed to letting FOH dictate any of that.

Really refreshing to hear from such an experienced player ( he has played with Dolly and I believe Tanya Tucker as well among others). I think weve all felt at one time or another that weve had to 'modify' our tone/volume for the sake of a cranky FOH tech who doesnt want to deal with the mixing challenges. Jay basically tells em to stuff it and does his own thing, trusting his instincts and experience with the artist onstage.

Thanks for highlighting this killer musician man! Hope others get to see him live too!

5. Register to disable this ad