1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz 6er?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Mar 13, 2014.

1. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Marys, Ohio
    I love the tone of a jazz bass, but I have molded my playing to be most comfortable with a 6 string. So my question is what 6er really locks in the classic jazz tone? I have seen BassMods, and I am very much considering ordering one, but I want to see what my options are. Right now my 6ers are a Warwick Thumb and an Ibby btb 1206. I have considered swapping the guts in my Ibby to get the tone, but I'm not sure if that would cut it, or what pups & pre would give it the jazz vibe. I can't do tight spacing either, my hands are huge. So, what say you, Talkbass?

2. I know it isn't exactly the highest quality instrument on the market, but perhaps look into a 6 String Jazz Bass from Rondo Music. - http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2mn6bk.html. You could always swap out specific parts to tweek it to your liking (pickups, bridge, preamp, recut the nut, etc..). I hope this helps.

3. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Have you tried FBASS...their VFJ are great for that!!...the 19mm spacing is too big for me but might fit your hands?..if not they can custom build you a wider spacing

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    carvin LB76 is very comparable to a nice jazz bass. they're excellent basses, and don't cost much, especially used. i've had 3 of them

5. Lowend seems to do J's in several string counts- I've seen 4, 5 & 7's.

6. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Call Marco Cortez (Marco Basses), i have a PJ4 with hand wound pick ups and i love it, light weight, great tone, Fender tone, boutique feel. Hes a nice guy and will take the time to figure out what would work best, ive played his Basses two years in a row at NAMM and every single one it a knock out.

Heres a recent 6'er from his Facebook page made for one of the guys on this forum:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.p...629.1073741831.100000764655241&type=3&theater

7. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I'm pretty sure that KSD (Ken Smith Designs) makes a jazz 6.

8. chubfarm2001

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Marys, Ohio
    Thanks everyone. That gave me some options. The Marco looks awesome.

9. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    ACG would make you a very nice 6 string Jazz Bass ( acguitars.co.uk ) :)

Eude

10. Adrian Maruszyzyk (public-peace.de) builds a six string Jazz (Elwood-6) and they're interesting beasts though I've not had chance to get hands on with one of the sixes; but the four string I had a few minutes on the other day was a very nice bit of kit.

I've been looking at his stuff for a while, and I think that's where the next bit of bank account abuse may be headed as the instruments aren't that expensive comparatively.

11. chubfarm2001

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Marys, Ohio
    My options for a hand on demo of some of these is pretty limited. Would you say these basses you have suggested really nail the traditional jazz sound? And by traditional I mean a Fender Am Dlx 5. I'm pretty much looking for the closest thing to a Fender Am Dlx Jazz 6 with comfortable spacing. Or should I tap my inner luthier and just build one?

12. scyzoryk

scyzoryk

Jan 12, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    Atelier Z makes gorgeous 6 string jazzes but you'd have to order straight from Japan.

13. asbs

asbs

Oct 11, 2010
    Nouméa, NC.