Jazz 6er?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Mar 13, 2014.

1. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

I love the tone of a jazz bass, but I have molded my playing to be most comfortable with a 6 string. So my question is what 6er really locks in the classic jazz tone? I have seen BassMods, and I am very much considering ordering one, but I want to see what my options are. Right now my 6ers are a Warwick Thumb and an Ibby btb 1206. I have considered swapping the guts in my Ibby to get the tone, but I'm not sure if that would cut it, or what pups & pre would give it the jazz vibe. I can't do tight spacing either, my hands are huge. So, what say you, Talkbass?
  2. JoeBassGuy17

JoeBassGuy17

I know it isn't exactly the highest quality instrument on the market, but perhaps look into a 6 String Jazz Bass from Rondo Music. - http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2mn6bk.html. You could always swap out specific parts to tweek it to your liking (pickups, bridge, preamp, recut the nut, etc..). I hope this helps.
  3. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    Have you tried FBASS...their VFJ are great for that!!...the 19mm spacing is too big for me but might fit your hands?..if not they can custom build you a wider spacing
  4. groooooove

groooooove

carvin LB76 is very comparable to a nice jazz bass. they're excellent basses, and don't cost much, especially used. i've had 3 of them
  5. bassteban

bassteban

Lowend seems to do J's in several string counts- I've seen 4, 5 & 7's.
  6. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Call Marco Cortez (Marco Basses), i have a PJ4 with hand wound pick ups and i love it, light weight, great tone, Fender tone, boutique feel. Hes a nice guy and will take the time to figure out what would work best, ive played his Basses two years in a row at NAMM and every single one it a knock out.

Heres a recent 6'er from his Facebook page made for one of the guys on this forum:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.p...629.1073741831.100000764655241&type=3&theater
  7. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that KSD (Ken Smith Designs) makes a jazz 6.
  8. chubfarm2001

Thanks everyone. That gave me some options. The Marco looks awesome.
  9. eude

eude

ACG would make you a very nice 6 string Jazz Bass ( acguitars.co.uk ) :)

Eude
  10. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Adrian Maruszyzyk (public-peace.de) builds a six string Jazz (Elwood-6) and they're interesting beasts though I've not had chance to get hands on with one of the sixes; but the four string I had a few minutes on the other day was a very nice bit of kit.

I've been looking at his stuff for a while, and I think that's where the next bit of bank account abuse may be headed as the instruments aren't that expensive comparatively.
  11. chubfarm2001

My options for a hand on demo of some of these is pretty limited. Would you say these basses you have suggested really nail the traditional jazz sound? And by traditional I mean a Fender Am Dlx 5. I'm pretty much looking for the closest thing to a Fender Am Dlx Jazz 6 with comfortable spacing. Or should I tap my inner luthier and just build one?
  12. scyzoryk

scyzoryk Supporting Member

Atelier Z makes gorgeous 6 string jazzes but you'd have to order straight from Japan.
  13. asbs

asbs Supporting Member

Fbass; VF 6