1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz bass "A" string lacking tonally.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BenWhoPlaysBass, Dec 14, 2013.

1. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

I've got an MIM Fender Standard Jazz strung with DR nickel Lo-Riders. When I pluck or slap the low E string, it's got lots of "thump" and bottom end, it sounds awesome. But when I do the same to the A string, the sound just isn't there. I slap the A string and it sounds weak. Also seems like there's lower output for that string. The strings are standard gauge, 45-105. I did a search for this problem and didn't find any threads pertaining to it. Anyone know how to fix this? I don't think it's the strings, as I had some Rotosounds on it previously and it did the same thing.

2. s4001

s4001

It's very possible to get dead string straight out of the box. You may have just gotten a dead string. I've gotten a distressing amount of new dead strings the past couple years.

3. wmheilma

wmheilma

Since you had the same problem with two different sets maybe it is the way you put the string on the bass or your EQ setting. First see if you can tell if the A still seems dead worth the bass unplugged. Check how you wound it on the tuner. Got enough break angle over the nut? If all that seems good then start messing with the EQ.

4. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

It's wound fairly far down on the tuner... It's not that the string sounds "dead" it just sounds like it's not as loud as the others. Could it not be fitting into the nut slot?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I've always noticed the same A string effect with most bolt-on 4 string basses.

Did you cut the ends of the strings? Cutting them too far will do the same thing pretty much to that A. If not, take the neck off the bass and try resetting just a bit. This might stop your problem.

7. wmheilma

wmheilma

Did you check the bridge to make sure the saddle is making good contact with the body of the bridge. if you play hard near the bridge, things can get out of whack. I changed bridges to stop that problem. Use kahlers now.

8. emart

emart Supporting Member

Had a similar problem once and it turned out to be the bridge saddle wasn't making proper contact. I'd check the nut and saddle before thinking about removing the neck.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

play the bass unplugged, and see if you notice the same thing, or if you can find any other peculiarities between strings ... if you run the string by hand thru the nut a couple times you will quickly tell if it is seating well .. how does the A string intonate?

10. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: y'know, rhythm AND blues! Supporting Member

+1 on checking the bridge carefully for contact and verifying the seating of the A string in the nut with proper break angle. It's not unreasonable to try a third set of strings. GHS Pressurewounds perhaps. Rotos are notorious for dead strings, don't know about DRs.

Action height? Measure at the 1st and 17th fret on each string and compare with specs (0.022" and 7/64" bass side to 5/64" treble side is typical IIRC).

You could try slightly adjusting pickup height too. Certain Fender Jazz pickups have raised A poles to get the magnets closer to the string, as on my FSR. DiMarzios have individually adjustable pole pieces.

This kind of thing seems to require some voodoo to get it sorted. :ninja:

11. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Unless you have raised pole pieces for the A and D this is a somewhat issue. I still love both of my Jazz basses.

12. wmheilma

wmheilma

Show low makes a good point. I have used a lot of DR strings and have had some single strings that did not sound right. Even had loose windings on some of them. They are still my favorite brand overall, but once in a while I've had a bad string.