1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz bass back pickup is thin and quiet

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ngnt, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ngnt

ngnt

I was playing a fundraiser for my buddy's middle school that he teaches at and brought out one of my MIM jazz basses that I hadn't gigged with yet. I'm not much of a knob turner so everything on the bass is always full on. I realized that it sounded pretty different from what I thought I remembered and thought I forgot to bring in the back pickup. For some reason when I soloed the back pickup it sounded incredibly thin, almost like the strat's out of phase sounds.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
  2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Could it be a loose wire on the pup?
  3. ngnt

ngnt

I checked all the wiring and didn't seem to find anything abnormal by looking at it. Everything looks to be wired up how the schematics look and connections appear to be solid.
  4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Sometimes if the pickup's coil has a break in it you will still get sound, and it will be very thin sounding.

You can test this by taking a reading of the pickup on an ohm meter. If you don't get a reading, then the coil is open.
  5. john m

john m Supporting Member

If the coil is open, where does the sound come from if there is no current flowing?
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    There are so many turns of wire that they capacitively couple with each other. So in essence the pickup turns into a big capacitor, and passes AC, but you can't get a DC reading from it. I just rewound a set of Jazz pickups from 1976. They were both open. The neck pickup actually sounded fine, and the bridge was thin and weak sounding. Jazz pickups often develop a break or short where the wire touches the magnets due to corrosion.
  7. john m

john m Supporting Member

But the signal would be VERY thin. I like to see the X[SUB]c[/SUB] on that.
  8. ngnt

ngnt

I think SGD Lutherie has the right answer here. I didn't realize the bass is still under warranty so when I took it to this repair guy in Lorton, VA, he seemed to think it was something of the sort. He said MIM basses have this problem a lot. So a new pickup was ordered right away. Thanks for the input guys!
  9. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Just a thought, if you have this problem again you might simply want to try cranking the pickup height up a bit. I know it sounds simple, but a 1/4" higher on the pickup can do a lot.
  10. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

IME, the closer a J pickup is to the bridge, it can sound a bit thinner.

(This may be unrelated to your situation).

I prefer 60s spacing if I plan to emphasize the bridge pickup.