Jazz Bass Body Template

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TreeChild, Jan 9, 2007.

1. TreeChild

TreeChild

im wondering if anyone knows where i can find a jazz bass body template, or if anyone has one that that would be willing to make a copy of and send to me, that would be even better! thanks guys.

- wyatt

2. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Disclosures:
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Hi Wyatt,

I had a look at the site. I like the pic of you on the cabinet.:D

There's a few ebay sellers that specialize in template sets. You can check it out.
    I think this guy also has a jazz bass one http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/

If you just want plans try the MIMF they sell a whole bunch of plans.

Personally, I advise you to build your own templates. It's cheaper and you get to learn to do something you love. Grab a copy of Illustrator, Coreldraw or some such cad program. Import a picture of a jazz bass from the net, the picture has to be straight up (not angled) so the dimensions are all perfect. (I steal pics off the Fender site, they're perfect for this) and play around with your bezier tool until you've got all the shapes you want perfect. I do my drawing on a different layer than the picture so you can toggle on and off the picture and see you drawing better. Once thats all good, print the body on 4 different pages, tape them together and cut it out. Transfer that to MDF and get your template done.

good luck ;)

3. eleonn

eleonn

Can't be said better than that!!

4. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Get a sheet of construction paper. Go to the music store you frequent and get the bass guy to let you trace the body. Then adjust the shape a bit to make it more yours and transfer to MDF.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

I tried both (picture printing from net, and tracing to paper), and have to say, for me, the "digital one" worked better! :)

Fender has real good pictures to print, and they are straight :D

7. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass Guest

get a nice straight pic, scale it using photoshop (easiest way), and print. if you want a wire-frame of it use canvas 9 to trace it.
    if u need help pm me, i've done this many times. accuracy of results vary with each pic used.

8. TreeChild

TreeChild

it is a cool picture, and everyone always thinks im on the cabinet. actually i am in mid air about 3 feet in front of the cabinet. thats right, mid jump. it was quite an intense moment. anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. could you maybe get me a link where i could download one of these programs, and will they work for mac? thanks guys.

9. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass Guest