1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz bass Bowed neck problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rbailey23, Feb 16, 2013.

1. rbailey23

rbailey23

I just picked up a MIM 60's jazz bass for pretty cheap.. but the neck is bowed alot and it causes the action to go way up. You can't lower it without buzz.

Has anyone experienced this?
    Right now the bass is at a local shop and the truss rod has been tightened all the way to try and bend it back into shape... if this doesent work does anyone have any other ideas?

2. Johntheson

Johntheson

Do a search here for "neck clamping". There are several threads that go into full detail, with pictures in some. I have that same bass too, but haven't had any problems like that. You may need to use a bit of heat as well. Many of the guys here have done it, and I'm sure will chime in also. Good luck.
    John Sr.

3. Garagiste

Garagiste Supporting Member

I can tell you that I bought a Fender 62 reissue US (2010) made J bass neck, strung it up with La Bella Jamerson flats, and within a couple of days it was bowed out, truss was tightened all the way and there was nothing my guy could do. He says he sees it all the time with new Fender necks. He encouraged me to get a replacement neck from Warmoth, which I did, and which I like, but I still wish it were Fender neck. On a side note, I recently bought the 60th anniversary precision (2011) and have left the strings it with on the bass, and I absolutely love it. But I have heard a lot of stories of new Fender necks with truss rods that get maxed out immediately and I am not aware of any remedy.

4. rbailey23

rbailey23

I think this one is an '02. it's been neglected for a while. I've contemplated getting a warmoth neck or having that heat treatment done from warped neck.com ...

...still waiting to hear back from the repair shop though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Truss nut maxed? Buy washers. Insert under the nut. Fender sells them (imagine) you can also find suitable at big hardware stores often.

Have a tech that doesn't know this? Find a tech that knows what he's doing.

8. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    JJ flats are brutally high tension, really hard on necks.

Remedy is backclamping/heat treatment if needed.

9. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    My MIM is getting a new neck put on now under warranty....2 months old and it did exactly that....when you put the action down even close to playable it buzzes everywhere!

10. rbailey23

rbailey23

He's already doing the washer thing...

11. Garagiste

Garagiste Supporting Member

Agreed. I subsequently stopped using those strings because they are unnecessarily heavy gauge and high tensioned. I and was trying to do this on a Jazz bass neck. Not a surprise it didn't work. I now have a lighter gauge Labella set on my 57 Precision reissue and they sound great. But I highly, highly recommend necks from Warmoth.