Jazz bass build, not the biggest budget, help me out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Presto2112, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Presto2112

Presto2112

Hey guys, since today is Christmas I received some schillings and decided I have enough to save for a bass build. I already have a Mighty Mite Seafoam green body in mind (189.99) so now is the neck. I REALLY don't want to spend $337 on a tinted all parts pearl inlay maple neck but I'm trying to recreate Geddy's green jazz (I know it's surf green but I don't have the money to buy a Surf Green body from warmoth). Anyways, how are the mighty mite maple necks? Would you rather spend a little more on a MIM maple neck or would you buy the all parts neck? Opinions, brands I haven't mentioned would be great! Thanks.
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

To save a few more bucks, you could do what I did; wait until Guitar Center (or some other retailer, if you like) has a 10% to 15% off e-coupon available. I saved almost thirty bucks on a Mighty Mite Blue Burst Jazz body. It was on backorder and I had to wait about three weeks for it to come in, but my patience paid off.

As far as the neck goes, I've got my sights set on a particular Squier bass neck. I'm waiting until I can get a scandalous deal on a used one. Then I'll harvest the neck, make a small modification (I wanna gloss up the back of the neck a little bit) and sell off the loaded body to offset the total cost.

So, if I were trying to replicate Geddy's green Custom Shop Jazz on a tighter budget, I'd grab the neck off a Squier Vintage Modified '77 Jazz bass. And if I wanted to go "all the way", I'd seek out someone with the skills to match the headstock to the body.

http://www.fender.com/squier/basses/jazz-bass/vintage-modified-jazz-bass-77/
  4. gary mitchell

gary mitchell

Carvin Jazz Bass Kit, every thing you need, $400 some bucks. Makes a nice bass check it out.

Register to disable this ad