1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz Bass Concentric Pots question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chinjazz, Oct 20, 2013.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

My apologies up front if the answer is somewhere to be found deep in the coffers of TalkBass... :bag:

I'm looking for a Stacked Concentric jazz bass setup.... However I do like how the Squire Jaguar tone pot has detents for positions. It's intuitive....

Does anyone make these?

I can't help myself as I fall in love with the concentric pots everytime I watch Bobby Vega who is the master on his old 60's jazz.. :hyper: :bassist:

Thanks!
  2. line6man

line6man

Jazz basses are passive, and thus, don't have any option to boost, so you don't need detents. The "flat" position is at "10."
  3. chinjazz

Hey L6M,

Thanks for the input. I think I mixed up my terminology in my question. I have this Squire Jag and each volume pot has a tone pot under it (which have click stop positions (11 of them)).

I think the 60's concentric tone pots are smooth and don't click into a certain place.

Just wondered if this kind of thing existed as separate parts or whole control plate.

Thanks!
  4. line6man

line6man

Ok, so you're talking about rotary encoders?

Stellartone makes a tone control that consists of a rotary toggle switch that selects between many filter circuits. You might want to look into that. Otherwise, you don't see potentiometers like that very often. Just rotary encoders and rotary toggle switches.
  5. chinjazz

Awesome, thanks, I'll look into Stellartone rotary encoders.

Cheers!
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

the knobs you're referring to have a thin metal washer that is notched. the notches click in and out of the tone controls dimples on the bottom. it's not a detented pot.
  7. chinjazz

That's cool! I suppose I could look for something like that to fit.
    Maybe impossible to to find.