Jazz bass control plate w/volume, jack only

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AaronHuff, Mar 27, 2014.

1. AaronHuff

AaronHuff Supporting Member

Do you know of anyone who makes custom Jazz control plates? I'd like to get one the just has holes for a single master volume knob and the jack. Can't seem to find the right thing searching online...
  2. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce World Champion of Quartz-Parchment-Shears Supporting Member

If you're familiar (good) with a soldering iron and can read a diagram (not schem), then you can make one yourself from readily available parts. If not, PM me.

Rob
    :bassist:
  3. AaronHuff

AaronHuff Supporting Member

Well, I mostly just need the control plate itself. The pot, jack, etc. are easy to come by, but the closest I can find to the plate I want is the one that was made for the two stacked knobs, like an early-'60s Jazz. Id like to just have a single master volume knob, nothing else.

4. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce World Champion of Quartz-Parchment-Shears Supporting Member

The '62 plate will be your only non-custom option of which I'm aware. However, the remaining hole can be filled with either a chrome automotive hole plug (readily available at Ace Hardware, etc.) or a series/parallel toggle switch, if you wanted to go that route.

Rob
    :bassist:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

That's what I'd do! Add a series/parallel option. :D
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Trace one on some kind of flat material you can cut and finish, then cut and finish it the way you want it. Plastic, aluminum, wood, etc.

Cheap and dirty way to get one right away...Get some sticky back vinyl and mount a piece on your existing control plate, trim it then only open the holes you want to use. It comes in all kinds of colors, fake carbon fiber look, chrome, diamond plate, etc. It would give you a way to try the single volume thing without going to a lot of trouble to fab a custom piece. If after you did it for a minute you didn't like it, peel the vinyl and put the vvt back in or whatever else you might want to try. If you did like enough to keep it, then you can find a more permanent solution.
  8. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

This sounds like a good option for something I am wanting to do. Where do you get sticky backed vinyl?
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member