1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz bass conversion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Noonan, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Noonan

Noonan Supporting Member

I have a knockoff jazz body with a nice Fender neck and terrible pickups and pots. I think I want to replace the neck pickup with a humbucker and disconnect the bridge pickup (I will probably leave it in place as a dummy). Any recommendations for a humbucker in the neck position? I assume I would wire it just like a precision bass.
  2. mrmills

mrmills

What sound are you looking for? There are many options to choose from.

Wiring would depend on what you get and what you want to do with it. A humbucker will usually come with the wiring so you can coil tap.
  3. Noonan

Noonan Supporting Member

I would like to approximate a pbass tone, but a coil tap might be cool. My main gigging bass is a precision with SD split humbucker.
  4. mrmills

mrmills

Something like the Seymour Duncan 35PX or 35P4 will give you a hot P sound in a humbucker housing.

Lots and lots of passive and active Split Ps on the market, I like the sound of Bartolinis but that is just personal preference.

Ceramic magnets make a pickup hotter and brighter (sometimes 'brittle')
    Active gives a touch more bottom end and a clearer top end. I use mostly active instruments but I do find they can be a bit too in your face for more mellow tracks.

For coil tapping, a soapbar or MM style humbucker would do the trick. all the instruments I own with humbuckers have coil tap switches as they add tonal flexibility.