1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz bass enthusiasts (3 or more J owners chime in on why)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basswave, Nov 25, 2013.

1. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Hello J bass enthusiasts …I always have at least 3 in the stable for a while now.
    I find the work suit me the best for most situations that I’m in. I have gone though stints
    with a lot of other bass designs but keep finding myself going to back to Js for the majority of my use.

Whatcha playing playing for what gigs/recordings…Share away.

Currently.

-One Modulus VJ detuned a half step (before tat it was my main bass for theater based gigs)

-Another Fretless VJ that handles the majority of anything fretless for me.

-Warmoth Ash/Maple done someone in a 70s style with Dimarzio model Js for kind of more modern J meets a thicker slightly nasty lower mids. (I use this for playing with a percussive acoustic artist).

-Status ash J that is my most aggressive/snarly one (I play where I need to cut or with an instrumental situations that are kind of busy).

Options are cool...
  2. fabubass

fabubass

4 Jazzes, White Deluxe Active, Sunburst Deluxe Active, Foto Flame, Sun Set Orange American Series with S-1. Lot of people on this forum, I've noticed don't like the S-1, I love it. I keep it engaged most of the time.
  3. fabubass

fabubass

Why do I have 4 Jazzes? I like different colors. I have them all strung with D'Addarios Nickel coated 105's except the Sunburst Deluxe I have Chromes 100's
  4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I've had 3.

- Fender Geddy Lee (MIJ). Sold it because the sound was fairly bland.

- Sadowsky Metro UV70-5MB (aka the Geddy V). Sold it. It was a fantastic bass. Looked the biz. Great action and playability. And the sound was the possibly the best-sounding bass I've had - when played by itself. But, I just didn't think it cut through a band mix and sounded as good - in a band mix - as a P or an EBMM Stingray or Sterling. I definitely couldn't see keeping $2K tied up in a bass that looked great and played well, but I'd never actually play with a band.

- El Diablo fretless Jazz (passive). Self built from a Warmoth body and Allparts lined fretless neck. This one is a keeper. It has the 100% vintage J sound (thanks to the particular SD pickups I installed from a recommendation from johnk_10). It plays great and it looks fantastic (Warmoth does some AWESOME finishes). Does it sound AS good in a band mix as some of my other basses? No. But, it has the fretless sound and it does sound good, so it's my one and only keeper of a J bass.
  5. yookh4u

yookh4u

Just one Fender AV62RI. In use of everything.
  6. fabubass

fabubass

You're right, One Jazz is all you need, Most versatile instrument on earth
  7. basswave

Disclosures:
    A great artist with a pencil can make a fantastic piece of work with, but is it a sin to give that same artist palette of paint loaded with different colors?
  8. basswave

Disclosures:
    The multiple J thing and the different offerings is what this thread is all about.

Aloha
  9. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I agree! One jazz bass is all I need but I want more. More. More.

Mi fender jazz bass 2001 sunburst with black pick guard. I think that's the sexiest color combo ever. Second is black with tort picture. Oh god what would I do to own a bass like that. Once I get my neck fixed my Mexican bass can outshine anything IMHO.

Although if Santa bass is listening, I would like a geddy lee signature jazz bass. Cough cough.
  10. garp

garp

Currently using four — all Fenders. A mix of four- and five-strings, actives and passives. Each has different tonal characteristics. Played a friend’s Marcus Miller V for a moment last week, and now the GAS pains are back.

I could easily get by with just a single passive Jazz, but it’s certainly nice to have options.
  11. RS

RS Supporting Member

I have 3 Alleva Copollos-
    LG4- alder/rosewood flats tone
    RA4- early 70s alder/maple rounds sound
    LM4- for slap or more modern/scooped sounds

That about covers anything, no?
  12. basswave

Disclosures:
    You have a point RS...Thats hard to argue...Sounds like a nice working stable that covers a TON.

There are always other options 5 strings, fretless, single ccoil vers meganomaticsplitdual triple buckers LOL ect...
  13. StuartV

You still need a fretless....
  14. RS

RS Supporting Member

Still working on playing fixed pitch, 4 string instruments well!
  15. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

Lakland DJ
    Lakland AJ
    Fender J

All 3 necks are totally different. I string them differently and use them for different tones.
  16. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I have a 4 string ibanez j from the lawsuit era and a custom built 5 string with 35 scale graphite neck. I plan on getting a fender custom shop jazz V down the line to have a fender. Both of my jazzes sound very differente from one another but cut through very well in a mix and have character.
  17. 80jazz

80jazz

I have 6 jazz basses, and think they each have a unique sound but still a similarity to their tone.
  18. StuartV

Practicing on a fretless will help you with that!
  19. Lakland55

Lakland55 From the topping with no stopping!!! Supporting Member

Current 3 Jazz Basses (mods done to each, mainly pups/bridges)

Fender - Roadworn Series (used for gigging/recording)
    Fender - Geddy Lee Sig. (Used for rehearsal/ @ home practices/lessons)
    Fender - Aerodyne Series (Used for home practices, not yet gigged by me)
  20. lweastdad

lweastdad

Two Jazz basses.
    '75 American reissue natural finish - maple neck. This is my go to bass
    1998 MIM Jazz Blue finish rosewood neck DiMarzio pickups - my backup bass.