Jazz bass enthusiasts (3 or more J owners chime in on why)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TonyP-, Nov 25, 2013.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Hello J bass enthusiasts …I always have at least 3 in the stable for a while now.
    I find the work suit me the best for most situations that I’m in. I have gone though stints
    with a lot of other bass designs but keep finding myself going to back to Js for the majority of my use.

Whatcha playing playing for what gigs/recordings…Share away.

Currently.

-One Modulus VJ detuned a half step (before tat it was my main bass for theater based gigs)

-Another Fretless VJ that handles the majority of anything fretless for me.

-Warmoth Ash/Maple done someone in a 70s style with Dimarzio model Js for kind of more modern J meets a thicker slightly nasty lower mids. (I use this for playing with a percussive acoustic artist).

-Status ash J that is my most aggressive/snarly one (I play where I need to cut or with an instrumental situations that are kind of busy).

Options are cool...
  2. fabubass

fabubass

4 Jazzes, White Deluxe Active, Sunburst Deluxe Active, Foto Flame, Sun Set Orange American Series with S-1. Lot of people on this forum, I've noticed don't like the S-1, I love it. I keep it engaged most of the time.
  3. fabubass

fabubass

Why do I have 4 Jazzes? I like different colors. I have them all strung with D'Addarios Nickel coated 105's except the Sunburst Deluxe I have Chromes 100's
  4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I've had 3.

- Fender Geddy Lee (MIJ). Sold it because the sound was fairly bland.

- Sadowsky Metro UV70-5MB (aka the Geddy V). Sold it. It was a fantastic bass. Looked the biz. Great action and playability. And the sound was the possibly the best-sounding bass I've had - when played by itself. But, I just didn't think it cut through a band mix and sounded as good - in a band mix - as a P or an EBMM Stingray or Sterling. I definitely couldn't see keeping $2K tied up in a bass that looked great and played well, but I'd never actually play with a band.

- El Diablo fretless Jazz (passive). Self built from a Warmoth body and Allparts lined fretless neck. This one is a keeper. It has the 100% vintage J sound (thanks to the particular SD pickups I installed from a recommendation from johnk_10). It plays great and it looks fantastic (Warmoth does some AWESOME finishes). Does it sound AS good in a band mix as some of my other basses? No. But, it has the fretless sound and it does sound good, so it's my one and only keeper of a J bass.
  5. yookh4u

yookh4u

Just one Fender AV62RI. In use of everything.
  6. fabubass

fabubass

You're right, One Jazz is all you need, Most versatile instrument on earth
  7. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    A great artist with a pencil can make a fantastic piece of work with, but is it a sin to give that same artist palette of paint loaded with different colors?
  8. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    The multiple J thing and the different offerings is what this thread is all about.

Aloha
  9. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I agree! One jazz bass is all I need but I want more. More. More.

Mi fender jazz bass 2001 sunburst with black pick guard. I think that's the sexiest color combo ever. Second is black with tort picture. Oh god what would I do to own a bass like that. Once I get my neck fixed my Mexican bass can outshine anything IMHO.

Although if Santa bass is listening, I would like a geddy lee signature jazz bass. Cough cough.
  10. garp

garp

Currently using four — all Fenders. A mix of four- and five-strings, actives and passives. Each has different tonal characteristics. Played a friend’s Marcus Miller V for a moment last week, and now the GAS pains are back.

I could easily get by with just a single passive Jazz, but it’s certainly nice to have options.
  11. RS

RS Supporting Member

I have 3 Alleva Copollos-
    LG4- alder/rosewood flats tone
    RA4- early 70s alder/maple rounds sound
    LM4- for slap or more modern/scooped sounds

That about covers anything, no?
  12. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    You have a point RS...Thats hard to argue...Sounds like a nice working stable that covers a TON.

There are always other options 5 strings, fretless, single ccoil vers meganomaticsplitdual triple buckers LOL ect...
  13. StuartV

You still need a fretless....
  14. RS

RS Supporting Member

Still working on playing fixed pitch, 4 string instruments well!
  15. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

Lakland DJ
    Lakland AJ
    Fender J

All 3 necks are totally different. I string them differently and use them for different tones.
  16. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I have a 4 string ibanez j from the lawsuit era and a custom built 5 string with 35 scale graphite neck. I plan on getting a fender custom shop jazz V down the line to have a fender. Both of my jazzes sound very differente from one another but cut through very well in a mix and have character.
  17. 80jazz

80jazz

I have 6 jazz basses, and think they each have a unique sound but still a similarity to their tone.
  18. StuartV

Practicing on a fretless will help you with that!
  19. Lakland55

Lakland55 From the topping with no stopping!!! Supporting Member

Current 3 Jazz Basses (mods done to each, mainly pups/bridges)

Fender - Roadworn Series (used for gigging/recording)
    Fender - Geddy Lee Sig. (Used for rehearsal/ @ home practices/lessons)
    Fender - Aerodyne Series (Used for home practices, not yet gigged by me)
  20. lweastdad

lweastdad

Two Jazz basses.
    '75 American reissue natural finish - maple neck. This is my go to bass
    1998 MIM Jazz Blue finish rosewood neck DiMarzio pickups - my backup bass.