Jazz bass finger work and solos

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Thesteelspine, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Thesteelspine

Thesteelspine

Hey guys,

I've been playing Bass for about two years now just getting around on the basics, I figured I'm wasting my time and everyone else's by not improving my self.
    So I was wonder if any of you know where I can find some good jazz songs I could learn to play, and if you know any good fingerworking tabs I could use to increase my speed.

It would really appreciate it!
    Thanks!

2. Waynergy

Waynergy

I've found that pushing myself and persisting really pays dividends.
    Threw myself into Billy Ocean's When The Going Gets Tough, and Stevie Wonder's Superstition (more Funk than Jazz). Also Elvis Presley's Don't Be Cruel. Haven't got Paul Simon's Graceland down yet, but I'm gonna learn Van Morrison's Moondance - it has a sweet jazz walk throughout.
    A few suggestions. :)
    I think that if you're constantly pushing yourself just a little beyond your limits (not too far!), it keeps it challenging and fun, and exciting enough to keep you moving forward.

3. pfox14

pfox14

Sounds like you could benefit from taking some lessons. Try and find a good bass teacher to help you improve your technique and practicing regimen.

4. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

+1 on lessons.

What are some songs you have heard that you liked the bass lines in? "Jazz" covers a lot of styles, your idea of a jazz tune may not match mine.

Keep in mind that bass lines in improvised jazz are not written parts, the note choices originate with the player's musical knowledge - scales, chords, etc. - that he fits into the group in real-time.

A good way to start developing this skill is to play some blues. Start with basic 1-4-5 progressions, detailed knowledge of music theory not required.

Good luck and have fun.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

+1! Play the blues, and it will help you build a foundation that will get you through thousands of songs down the road.

7. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

+1. Now when I comp and play bass lines, roughly 80% of my playing has to have at least some improv if its very bare bones stuff and heavily improvised when I play jazz, gospel, etc.