Jazz bass is quiet through a very loud setup compared to my active ibanez bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 110s lover, Apr 2, 2014.

1. 110s lover

110s lover

Well basically, I play through my ibanez: volume 3, gain 4 and the neighbours complain that they can feel thd thump (no joke tehe). I admit I dont play with tonnes of midrange or gain but my jazz bass is just very quiet compared to my ibanez btb, I can get it too like volume 6 in the house without it being overwhelming. Why is this EXACTLY? Like, is it because the bass is passive? its got low output pickups? The bridge is more like a badass on the ibanez than the fender? Or is it just that humbuckers are always louder in general???

Thanks.
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Passive pickups can be loud or quiet. How close to the strings are the pickups? Closer = louder. How old are the strings?

That does sound like a large volume differential, but it does make some sense. Active basses are louder, and are often used with a padded input, which lowers the output considerably, in order to not work the amp too hard, and to match the output.
  3. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

I'd start with pick up height and go from there.
  4. 110s lover

110s lover

Yes, admittedly I have the action pretty high and the pickups pretty low so I may try raising the pickup level as apossed to lowering the action of the bridge. When I first bought it used, it was still the same volume even quieter due to the crappy, thin - sounding 90s stock bridges that fender placed on some of there models back then. So I put a gotoh 201 on it instead and it came alive. But I find that high mass bridges often buzz if the action is too low. As for the strings, I reguarly replace with either rotosounds or d'addraios. I may try raising the pickup level see what happens. Thanks guys!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MTBK

MTBK

Pick up height is probably all it will take. I just got a new mia jazz that was very quiet at first, too. I found it easiest to raise them really high then fine tune them by lowering them a bit at a time until the strings stopped being too close to the poles. I'm no guru on instrument setup but it worked for me.