1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Polo35, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Polo35

Polo35

Sorry if this has been covered before. I'm currently playing a short scale bass and I'm thinking of buying a full scale soon. I'm thinking of buying a jazz bass but want to know what the neck is like as I've not got the longest fingers?

2. bassliner50

bassliner50

I do not have large hands and play Precision basses which have a 34" scale just as the Jazz bass has. I doubt you will have difficulty switching from your short scale bass. Is your present bass 30" or 32" scale?
    The Jazz bass is about 5/32" narrower at the nut. Many people find that as an advantage, but to me it feels cramped compared to my P bass. Of course the distance between frets especially near the headstock may feel a bit wide to you at first. The wide feel will soon pass as you play it and the advantages of a 34" scale will quickly dwarf any unfamiliarity with the long scale. Again my hands are not large and I get around just fine...

3. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

My main players are medium scale basses. I have a couple of shorties that I dig too. As far as full scale basses go I find the Jazz neck most comfortable.

4. ravelax

ravelax

What short scale are you playing? The width of short scale basses vary a lot, just like long scales, although if yours has a neck of the very thin variety (like many 60's basses) a Jazz Bass will probably feel better to begin with.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Polo35

Polo35

I've got a Gretsch Jet Bass Junior short scale.

7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    1.5" at the nut and 2.5" the heel (for your standard J)

If you have smaller hands than try looking into the Geddy Lee J its has a very thin neck.

8. Teacher

Teacher

It's a narrow, thin neck, and I love it.

9. rickwebb

rickwebb

Most Jazz or Precision Bass necks should be fine for MOST peoples' hands...
    When you start getting into 5-, 6-, 12- and 8-"non octave" string basses... THAT'S when it gets interesting! :)

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I just checked the specs of the Gretsch and I noticed it's fretboard has a flatter-than-usual 12" radius. Most Fender/Squier basses have the standard, curvier 9.5" radius. If your fingers are really that short, or if they've adapted to a flatter board, you might want to get a Jazz with a similar radius. It doesn't matter to everyone, but there are some, myself included, to which the radius is a major selling point. For example, I'll likely never get an SX/Essex bass since most/all of them have an incredibly flat 14" radius.

Squier makes a Deluxe Active IV Jazz that has a 12" (just like your Gretsch) ebonol fretboard. And let me take a moment to head off any erroneous "Eww…plastic fretboard!" claims. It's layers of phenolic paper and resin to create a very tough (more like "almost bulletproof") wood-like substance. From personal experience, it's stands up to changes in temperature and humidity incredibly well.

http://www.fender.com/squier/basses/jazz-bass/deluxe-jazz-bass-iv-active-4-string/

11. Polo35

Polo35

I'm looking at the Squier Affinity series jazz bass

12. Polo35

Polo35

Just bought a J&D jazz bass vintage for £119 I couldn't resist it. The neck seems really nice as well I don't think I'll have any problems.

13. Malak the Mad

14. Polo35

Polo35

Here you go ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396983062.686026.jpg

15. Polo35

Polo35

Not a great pic will take others

16. Malak the Mad

Aren't Jack & Danny basses made by the same overseas factory that produces SX/Essex basses for the American market via Rondo Music? If so, it will likely have the aforementioned super-flat fretboard.

I can't find a website for them that works anymore. Did you get it directly from the distributor or from a regular music instrument outlet?

17. Polo35

Polo35

I'm not sure who makes them I thought J&D made their own in their own factory?

I got mine in a shop called Digital Village which is in a place called Romford, Eseex in the UK. I went in to pick up my Gretsch bass that had just had a repair. I saw the J&D asked to play it and fell in love on the spot.

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

I've seen and heard small, teen/pre-teen boys and girls play Jazz basses really well with no discomfort. I personally play a 4/4 DB with a 44" string length and a 5 string BG with a 37" B string with no problem and I find a modern(thin front to back) 4 string Jazz bass neck uncomfortable. I think you really just have to try it and see.

19. Malak the Mad

You got an SX…IN ESSEX?! That's as ironic as it is hilarious! :D

Here's the link to Rondo Music out of New Hampshire, USA. If you have any hard specs on your new love, see if any match up to their basses'. However, if it is from the same factory, it looks like yours has the older headstock design. If it turns out to be made by the same manufacturer and you want more information, you'll find plenty of posts/threads/love here on TalkBass. Just do a search for "essex" since you can't search for "SX".

20. Major Softie

Major Softie

I don't know if it meets the "hilarious" standard, but it's certainly amusing. :p

21. Malak the Mad

What can I say? I'm a big fan of classically-styled ironic humor. Y'know…before the Hipsters took irony and made it ironically un-funny. :spit: