Jazz bass pickup mixing not working right

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Jan 7, 2014.

1. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

The pots in my Jazz bass are logarithmic. My volumes don't really work that well for mixing the two PUs. If I back off on one just a tad it sounds like it's turned down almost all the way. I hear hardly any change between backing it off a little and turning it down all the way. Turning both all the way up sounds "like it's supposed to". What I wanted to do was turn both PUs up all the way and then back off on the neck volume a bit. It just doesn't work very well. It doesn't sound much different than the bridge PU soloed. I thought that was the reason you use log pots for the volumes...

2. pfox14

pfox14

Do you have a Fender J-bass? Is it new? Sounds like there's a problem with the pots, so I would take it back and have it fixed if it's new. If it's not new or a J-bass copy, the problem may be that it has cheap electronics. Bad quality pots can be upgraded. There's many threads on that subject here.

3. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

It's a squier VM. The electronics are good quality. I put Tonrider pickups in it and got new parts and rewired it.

It's working pretty well besides the aforementioned issue. It's the series/parallel mod with a push/pull pot. Could it be a wiring fault? Seems to me that it's the way the pots work...

4. suraj

suraj

I have the same issue with my MIA standard jazz bass, but I think thats how a two volume control wired in parallel is actually supposed to work. Better "mixing" can be achieved by backing off both the volumes a little and then back off whichever pickup you want less emphasis on. The results however are probably not very repeatable. On full both the pots fight each other for full volume so when you back one off the other comes through completely, or so I have read.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

That's some good info. Thanks!

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that's actually the problem!

put some linear volumes in there instead and they won't be so touchy right where you need the finest control, just off of "10".

linear volumes will smoothly turn down, making it easier to find the sweet spot.

8. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

Dammit I thought what you describe ARE log pots. That's why I got them :rolleyes:

I want to quote line6man here saying linear ist best for volume, logarithmic better for tone. (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/log-lin-pots-652137/#post9047792) I learned it to be the other way round on the Seymour Duncan forum when I was still playing guitar.

9. soulman969

soulman969

Another option is to wire one of the pots as a blend pot. In that scheme one of the pickups (normally the bridge) is at 100% volume all the time and you blend the amount of the other you want into it. From your first post it sounds like this is a good solution. You'll have 100% bridge and all you need to do it roll in the 70%-90% you want from the neck.

But you can also do as suraj suggests and not run them full. You can get a similar result, albeit with lesser volume, by running the bridge at around 80%-90% and the neck about 10-20% less but you need to be using linear pots for all this. Not log pots.

10. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

11. pfox14

pfox14

Looks like a good solution to me.

12. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

Just wanna let you guys know that I ended up getting quality pots (2x linear for volume and 1x log for tone) and it's great. Works like it's supposed to now. Bridge on full, roll off the neck volume a tad and I'm there :)

13. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

yep, thats it!! audio taper is no good for blending in my book.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yes but no :smug:

that's a classic old-school jazz bass trick, running all three knobs below "10" so they're out of the jumpy part of their sweeps and just dealing with the lost output;

thing is, it works just fine with stock log taper pots.