1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz Bass pickup noise!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by trjazzluva05, May 25, 2010.

1. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

My jazz bass sounds good but has one problem: my pickups have a loud noise when my finger comes in contact with the pole pieces. how do i fix this? My pickups are Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups.

2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Don't touch your pole pieces :). Seriously, they're all like that.

3. awall

awall

I was just about to ask the same question. MIM deluxe jazz. I don't remember any noise before I swapped pick ups. I switched to single coils and thought they were to noisy. I put the original noiseless back in and now they make noise until I touch the strings. If I touch a pole piece with my finger, it makes a loud buzzing noise. Maybe we can figure this out.
    Al

4. Stereo Joe

Stereo Joe Supporting Member

You can get rid of the noise when you touch a pole piece by grounding the pole pieces themselves. Here is a Musicman style pickup with grounded polepieces:

[​IMG]

Notice how the pole piece bottoms have a strip of copper foil which is then connected to the pickup ground.

A simpler way of avoiding this problem is to put some electrical tape over the top of your pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

TomB.... "Hey doc everytime I lift my arm, it hurts bad....what should I do?" Doctor; "Don't lift your arm." RIMSHOT. YOU FORGOT THE RIMSHOT....man....
    tjm

7. M0ses

M0ses

What Stereo Joe said.

Awall, if you noiseless ones were noiseless before you messed with them, then you did something wrong re-wiring them.

8. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

I had this dreaded pickup noise when I touched them as well. I also had hum when I let go of the strings. The Audere website was a wonderful help on how to troubleshoot these problems.

A quick order to StewMac for copper shielding tape then I shielded the cavities, inside the pickup covers and also laid the tape on the bottom of the magnets and ran a wire to a body ground.

I am talking seriously dead quiet. Like scary dead quiet. I love it.

My question is why don't all basses over $1000 come like this? Honestly, how much would it cost to add this level of shielding to kill all noise? Just an observation from a simple guy who owns a couple of $1000 + basses.

9. Stereo Joe

Stereo Joe Supporting Member

I agree with you completely. If an ignorant hack like me can completely shield and re-wire a passive bass in a couple hours, why can't a pro do it before boxing up the bass?

This actually reminds me that there is a great little music store in my old home town where the (sole) proprietor not only completely shields all of his stock instruments, he also dresses the frets, does a complete set up and replaces the strings. Every instrument you pick up off a rack in this store is perfectly ready to rock! He even does this to the cheap Fender knock-offs he has....

10. Metania

Metania

Disclosures:
    Orthodox Theology, Byzantine History, horror movies, crafts, making stuff from leather. Flirting with awesome women :-)
    With a Jazzie yo never know! Mine was quiet this morning. Now, 6hrs later it hums aggressively loud when I touch the neck pup pole pieces! I contribute the problem to bad electronics. Mine is shielded almost wrapped entirely in copper tape! No reaction - but HUMMMM!!! GRRRR! (when you let go of the stings) HMMM!

11. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Not much at all !
    Just money hungry & to get them out fast as possible.

12. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    So im quessing tommorrow morning it will be dead quiet again till 6 hours later or whatever ?