Jazz Bass Pickup Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 71beast, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 71beast

71beast

Ok, I know there are tons of posts about different Jazz Bass Pickups, but I need some suggestions as to pickup selection for a parts jazz bass I'm putting together.
    First, here are some specs of what I'm putting together: Alder body, rosewood fretboard, hipshot ultralite tuners, and badass II bridge.
    Second, here's what I'm looking for in the sound. I want the bass to have be able to get a some good funk sounds such as:
    -great raw old-school funk sound like in Cymande - Bra, Black Merda - Prophet and Cynthy-Ruth, Black Rock - Yeah Yeah, and can be warm and heavy having the low E sound like a big foot dropping down like Parliament - Night Of The Thumpasorous Peoples, Graham Central Station - Hair, and Shuggie Ottis - Sweet Thang. But I want to be able to be able to crank it up and with a little overdrive get that good old thick heavy bass sound. So basically, it should be able to be punchy and clear, but still be able to get nice and thick, all while being warm. I know I probably wont be able to get both, but I should be able to get close.

I have been thinking about bartolini's with HR 4.4 pre-amp. The custom bass I build uses barts and I love them, but I don't know if I can get the sounds I want from J-bass pickups. I've been reading tons of info on the forum about what's out there, but I don't know really what suits what my needs based on what I've read.

Also, I had made my fender jazz fretless a-la Jaco, but got tired of the stock pups, so I put in EMG's. Hate them. Any suggestions for good warm pups and preamp for it too?

Btw, been reading on here for a long time, finally signed up and had to post. Love finally being part the community for us bassists.

Lastly, I want to say thanks in advanced. I appreciate any suggestions, and help.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    My first thought would Be P/J setup or using a Musicman, but if it has to be Jazz pickups, I would lean toward Hot Stacks or Quarter pounders. The Bart Dark tones may get the low end Oomph, but they usually lack the highs and upper mids. Aeros are also a good choice and DeLanos might be a good choice.

3. 71beast

71beast

That was my issue with going with barts. Any way I could help get it to have more highs? Like a good preamp? I know on my 5 string the preamp help a lot, but I wanted it to be a little on the dark side, hence the solid walnut body. Never ready mixed and matched electronics companies before and don't want to waste money on things that don't really work well together.

The only reason for it being jazz pickups is I like the configuration and I got a friend that has an extra body he wasn't going to use. I could make it out of swamp ash and a maple neck or just use a maple neck on the existing body. I didn't make the neck yet.