1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz Bass Pickup Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 71beast, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 71beast

71beast

Hi all, I have a question that has many threads about, but I still need a little help from everyone on what might be a good to go with. I've decided to build a jazz bass, instead of a full blown custom like I did for my 5 string walnut bass, but the problem is I can't decide on pups and preamp to get the vibe I'm want.

First, a little about the bass. It's an alder body, rosewood fretboard, with hipshot ultralites, and a badass II bridge.

Second, I the sound I'm looking to get. I really want to be able to get two distinct tones out of it, by adjusting the settings. I want the bass to be warm and clearr, but be able to get these two distinct characteristic sounds. I want to be able to get a slightly punchy, raw funk 70's tone like Black Merda, Purple Image, Funkadelic, Issac Hayes, Headhunters sound. But I want to be able to get it real thick and heavy like having big feet as Larry Graham says for really funky grooves a-la Parliament, JD & The Evil's Dynamite Band, Sly & The Family Stone, Graham Central Station sound. But, if I turn up some overdrive can really get a good psychedelic vibe from it like 13th floor elevators, The Black Angels, Dead Meadow, Graveyard sounds.

On my 5 string walnut bass I used Bartolini Soapbars with a Bartolini preamp. I love Barts, but I just don't know if I can get the vibes I want from their Jazz Bass pups and a preamp. I'm really curious about the Aguilars 70's and 60's, Nordstand 70s, and Fralin's. But the Fralin's are really expensive, I'm hoping to do the preamp and pups for like $300 max. I don't have access to try all of these out and youtube hasn't been a really good help finding good demos.

Also, I customized my current fender jazz by making it fretless a-la Jaco, and put EMG's in it recently because I got board of the stock pups. I hate the EMG's, they just seem rather one dimensional and BLAH to me (no offense to those of you that like them, just not my taste). Any suggestions for god warm pups for a fretless?

BTW, this is my first post and have been reading the forum for years. I'm really glad to finally be apart of a community for us bass players. I want to thank everyone for help in advance, you guys are awesome.