1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz bass pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassface771, Aug 12, 2013.

1. bassface771

bassface771

Sadly, I am now on the market for new pickups. I am looking for something with more boom than the fender jazz bass stocks. I own a 5-string American jazz bass if this helps. I’m looking for a really tight low end and some really tasty mids haha. I would like a crisp high end, but not a clank clank overbearing sound. I use steel strings and have already changed bridges to a hipshot A (which I love). I play jazz, blues, and a lot of funk. Playing style wise I mostly slap, but finger playing’s still part of the show. What kind of pickups would you guys suggest!
    I’m considering Lindy Fralin Pickups JAZZ BASS V 10% Overwind
  2. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

if you want more thump i would suggest the sjb2 duncans. ( fat pbass like tone slightly overwound and not too harsh like the qps (imho)). if you want a more trad single coil jazz sound go for the fender originals or my favs the sjb1 by duncan.
  3. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

4. bassface771

bassface771

pbass888 thanks for the suggestion, I'm researching them right now! Matt I've already read it up and down, and it wasn't as useful as you might think ;). Please consider that people research before asking questions!
  5. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

Um ok. Just trying to help out.
  6. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

A set of DiMarzio Model Js did it for me. Bottom end punch.

Dan
  7. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Aguilar AG-70's or H/C's
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

You'll get a hundred players with a hundred different preferences. that being said, i have had good luck with Sadowsky Hum canceling and DiMarzio Ultra Jazz. Fralins are great too
  9. tracer03

tracer03

I have Dimarzios in both my Jazz basses: Ultra Jazz and Area J. The Ultras are hot and scooped, the Area Js are more Mid-rangey. with a bit more 'punch' and clarity.

The project Jazz will probably have Model Js - a friend has them in his Jazz and he's more of a thump/slap player (I'm pick/fingers). He's got a great defined sound for what he does.

I love the Area Js, but YMMV, etc.
  10. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

What kind of music do you play and who are bassists tones whom you admire? I think you will love the sjb 2 ..also call the custom shop at Duncan... Very helpful. A final suggestion might be a outboard sadowsky preamp for a big range of tones for all of your basses?
    Good luck!
  11. bassface771

bassface771

Matt R. sorry haha I didn't read what I typed over, it was rude of me. pbass888 I really like victor w's jazzy tone and claypools harsh slap tone, I would like a sound thats somewhere in the middle. I've been making some calls and the duncans are tempting!
    Does any one know how the delanos sound?
  12. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    The SJB-2's can drive your amp pretty hard, especially the mids. The SJB-3's (Quarter Pounds) have a bit less output and a scoopier midrange. The quarter inch diameter poles increase the overall frequency range too. Good for those venues with lousy acoustics.