Jazz Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wlbravo, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Wlbravo

Wlbravo

I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s and I was wondering what pickups work best to get a good american jazz bass sound out of it. I've heard good things about the brands DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, and just getting Fender pickups. My price range is from 0 to $150. So any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
  2. knarleybass

knarleybass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I could wind you a great set for that jazz bass
  3. Wlbravo

Wlbravo

What?
  4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I tried many different pickups in that same bass. The stock ones sound the best in that bass. The only thing I would do is put some quality pots in it. Stay with the same tone cap and stay with 500k pots.
  5. David Jayne

David Jayne

He's saying he makes pickups. Wants to make you a pair.
  6. David Jayne

David Jayne

I would add that unless there's something SPECIFIC about the tone that you want to change, spend your money elsewhere, like on a really good fret+nut dress/setup. Maybe some shielding. Maybe a new set of strings. Once dialed in those basses can be very nice indeed. It's all just wood and wires after all.
  7. luiske

luiske

Hi,
    dimarzio dp123.
    A very good change to american jazz bass sound!
  8. markanini

markanini

Don't sleep on Wilde J-45.
  9. bassrob68

bassrob68 Supporting Member

Hey man. I just put Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's in my MIM Jazz bass and they sound great. A bit expensive at $160 for the set but they have that early 60's sound which I really like. I'll be making a second video to demo these pickups very soon. Hope that helps you.
  10. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

depends on what type of sound you are going for. the VM basses get good reviews as-is. I had some stock USA pickups in my "70's" model J bass that is also MIM. I just dropped in some Fender "Original" pickups in it so that it would sound similar to my '62 RI J bass. $85 brand new on E-bay. I like those pickups, although it still does not sound exactly like my '62... But pretty close. So my point is that even if you put a USA set in your bass, it may not end up sounding like a USA bass, since there are many elements that contribute to a basses sound.

If you tell us more about the exact type of sound or style you are going for, we can offer more suggestions. TB classifieds is a great place to buy and sell pickups and other parts without spending a fortune. But unless you do the work yourself, it will get pricey to swap out pickups. Does $150 include labor, or just the set of pickups?

The Dimarzio's are popular, but I would not describe them as "a good American Jazz bass sound" since they are not stock in any Fender USA Jazz basses that I know of...

You will get lots of opinions here about pickups. Your question is kind of like asking "what should I wear today?" Lots of ideas will come in response.