1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz bass sounds thin and quiet when both are 100%

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bigbadbuck, Jan 30, 2013.

1. bigbadbuck

bigbadbuck

I just finished rewiring my father in-law's fender jazz. Each pickup soloed sounds really great, but when both are 100% the volume drops about 30% and the mids and lows are cut as well.

Is this normal?

When I put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Jazz set in my Essex Jazz I didn't have this problem. In fact Both pickups 100% just made it sound better, and that has been my experience with my other basses as well.

Any input would be great.

2. zeb_bass

zeb_bass

wired out of phase

3. Glenn Taylor

Glenn Taylor

Switch the wires and you should be good.

4. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

Definite phasing problem.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bigbadbuck

bigbadbuck

So take the wires coming out of one of the pickups and flip them around?

7. bigbadbuck

bigbadbuck

H=hot
    G=ground

(present)
    H
    G

H
    G

(and make it)

H
    G

G
    H

8. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, my jazz does the same thing, and I belive this is normal. When both pick-ups up full the volume drops a little and the mids are scooped too. Well maybe not 30% but this is relative too.

9. fenderphil

fenderphil

yes. just one of the pickups needs the wires reversed..

10. bigbadbuck

bigbadbuck

Ok, awesome. Switched the wired and it worked just fine!

11. 1bassleft

1bassleft

Can someone clarify if my prob has the same solution?

My Fenix Jazz worked fine but I handed it over to a tech for a ton of things and, while at it, I had the bridge pup replaced with a Vintage 60s (stock neck pup always sounded fine, bridge not so 'Jazzy'). Both vols are now concentric, as a piezo is also in place.

The vols are fine, it doesn't sound thin, but one of the mags has to be 90% up because, at both full on, the overall volume drops considerably.

Is it as simple as out of phase? If so, surprised the tech didn't spot that. I'm happy to do the correction, but please let me know if "Yup, that sounds like out of phase wiring to me..."

12. Mykk

Mykk

1bassleft, it does indeed sound like an out of phase issue. Does the low end drop out when both volumes are 100% yet come back when you begin to roll off just one of the volumes?

13. 1bassleft

1bassleft

I'll have to play it amped up to confirm as I've always rolled one pup slightly back since it was pointed out to me. The drop in vol is really substantial; so much that I fixated on that. I've now got the naggy feeling that the bottom also dropped out of it...

Although I'm surprised, I'm also rather pleased. A simple enough correction to an annoying prob; especially if I sold it (unlikely). "A special feature of this bass is the maximum volume is just before the end of the turn, sir. Sir...?"

14. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Now put in a push pull pot for the neck volume pot and wire (don't know how, a tech did mine) for traditional parallel with seperate vol pots and series for both pickups and 1 master volume. Dead quiet and very p like when desired.

My fretless jazz with SCNs sounds killer with this mod.