Jazz Bass Templates

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SoulStabber, Sep 20, 2006.

1. SoulStabber

SoulStabber

Is there by any chance one of you luthiers have templates in pdf format or any other softcopy? I cant seem to find anyone who has them in my region. Thanks in advance

2. CaptainVictory

CaptainVictory

Fender has a ton of PDFs that you can import into CAD programs. You can then resize and otherwise manipulate the drawings to your heart's content. Check this page: http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/

3. wilser

wilser

the guys at guitarbuildingtemplates.com have jazz bass template sets. That being said, I got a set of those and they were not very good. The body was crooked and the neck dimensions were that of a P bass. I don't know if they've modified them for the best and this was a long time ago. What I did was get the PDFs from the fender site, blow them up to proper size (I used the nut spacing as reference) and glued them to masonite blanks, cut them, tidy up with files and sand paper ...much, much better than the guitarbuildingtemplates.com ones and only cost me 3.95 (the cost of the masonite blank).

4. #include <MK>

#include <MK>

I usually go to the real thing, but sometimes it's not available. I was curious though, so I also downloaded the pdf's from the site above to determine the results.

However, for me, it was far from just resizing the nut to get them right. I found some issues ('60s JB because I noticed it had a cavity and pickup outline): the pickups and neck aren't vertically centred in the diagram; both neck and bridge pickups are the same length, although that may have been the case for the 60's JB's (didn't check how the poles line up) I haven't verified this; because of the previous issues, I could not longer trust the diagram for other measurements.

Upon briefly checking other diagrams, I found that individual diagrams vary regarding accuracy (eg. American Standard pickups look like they line up ok). Even so, you can still resize them to get the basis for a more accurate template, but having a set of JB pickups on hand helps.

I have a Fender JB, so I just took the measurements directly from the bass and came up with better results. With the JB, PB and MM (early models) pickups the screw hole protusion thingies right are somewhat fidgety to get right, but not difficult to work out the dimensions.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

check this site the MIMF site.

scroll down and you will eventually find several plans for sale. I bought the Jazz bass plans a while ago. You can make templates from them.

7. dremy2006

dremy2006

PLEASE EXPLAIN/... THE NUT SPACING AS A REFERENCE????

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I believe what Wilser is referring to is, utilizing the nut spacing of an actual Jazz bass measurement.

9. dremy2006

dremy2006

... HOW WOULD i APPLY THAT TO PAPER OR WHAT EVER PROGRAM IM USING... THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY.. THANKS

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Easy on the caps lock there, trigger ;)

First of all, you'll need to print it out to a larger scale (Larger than 100%), you may need to do this a few times, to get the size similar to what you need.

Otherwise, go to www.mimf.com and create an account (It's free),
    go through their library, they have plans for sale on their site, which may be less work than guessing your printout.

11. dremy2006

dremy2006

thanks...sorry about tha caps...lol......:bassist: