Jazz Bass - thick necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by overdrivethree, Jan 4, 2009.

1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree

was never a fan of the Jazz neck. my friend has an MIM that's just too thin near the nut. and the Geddy Lee i've played seemed even thinner. i have big hands, and while i've always dug the tone, the necks are just too small.

but my SX's neck has some beef. it's got the Jazz width, but the radius more than makes up for that. i can really wrap my big hand around it, without my fingers getting all tied up on the fretboard.

so are there any Jazz models (made by Fender or otherwise) designed with a larger neck profile than the typical Jazz? or has SX just inadvertently made one of the more comfortable necks that i've ever played?
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Noel Redding Sig Jazz, the 62 reissue Jazz, G&L JB2, and some of the Lakland Jazz types have significatly deeper necks.
  3. cooptroop123

cooptroop123

jaco had a p bass neck on a J body for his practice bass, as seen on the modern electric bass video. i have no idea how he managed to do that though
  4. SpamBot

SpamBot

P necks fit on J basses. Warmoth frankenstein time!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Warmoth.
  7. fenderphil

fenderphil

the 70's vintage fenders have a beefier neck... and great tone to boot!
  8. fenderphil

fenderphil

I did that to my main Jazz bass.. I love it!

at the beginning of the vid, it shows Jaco cutting a new nut for it, and you can see that the ends aren't trimmed up..
  9. superfunk47

superfunk47

My JB-2 had one of the thinner necks I ever played. Almost as thin as a GL jazz, definitely thinner than my 08 Am. Std. by a pretty wide margin. And that's saying something because my 08 neck sure aint beefy.
  10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby Supporting Member

Mojo....

:bag:

Seriously, 4 bolts out 4 bolts in (in the simplest of terms) A guy or girl can swap a neck in less than 1/2 hour with a little effort.
  11. lug

lug

G&L jazz sized necks are just a bit thicker front to back in my opinion, fills the hand a bit better.
  12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I have a Vox Standard from the early 80s... its an all maple bass (neck and body). The neck is shaped like a jazz (1.5" at the nut), but its a thick, meaty jazz shaped neck. Anyway, the bass actually sound very good for an obscure Vox Japanese bass... it's got a Fender P pickup in the bridge position.
  13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

HI

If you were to try 10 different basses of the same model, you'd find a few that fit your hand. Once a bass neck is sanded, finished, fretted, and laquered no two feel the same. I have 5 Sadowsky's. They are CNC necks and none feel like the next

Rob
  14. overdrivethree

overdrivethree

well, even just being an SX...if something happened to this bass (particularly the neck), i'd be bumming out pretty bad. i don't know how consistent their neck shapes are. but i read on here that they were pretty deep, especially for the J basses.
  15. xbassmanx

xbassmanx

Yep...

The Warmoth J neck I have on one of my basses has a thicker fretboard than my Fender J.
  16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I agree. Plus, you could order a JB-2 with a really beefy 1.75" nut width neck.
  17. Oberion

Oberion

+1. I don't have overly big hands but longer fingers (like a sprinter) my middle finger and fourth finger are almost the exact length and the best necks I've found too date, 08 Ric, Warwick corvette (including the Rockbass version, my preference for the wood), Fender 50's P, and Epi Ripper.

And of course 70's Jazz, I wish that neck profile could be an option on all their other jazz models:D
  18. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

Recently I put an P-size Ebanol/Maple Mighty Mite Fretless on my jazz - very successful swap.
  19. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

My G&L SB2 has a stoopid thin neck.... about as thin profiled as the Geddy Lee. My '92 MIA Jazz is thicker at the first fret by more than .15". The best option I see for the OP, as far as a new model is concerned, is the JB2 with the 1.75" inch neck option.

Ljazz
  20. htharp

htharp

As mentioned above, no 2 necks feel quite the same to me. I have experimented in the past with a Precision neck on a Jazz body and thought it was pretty nice. I've also had several other Jazz's that came and went because the neck felt too skinny to me. Not too long ago I happened to pick up a used '03 MIA Jazz with a maple neck. this one is much beefier than my previous one, and while still 1-1/2" wide at the nut it feels much chunkier than any Jazz neck I have owned. It has become my favorite neck. For those looking for just the right neck my advice is to try 'em until you find the one that fits.
  21. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

I hate the SX necks. I'm sanding one down now to approximate the contour of my Peavey Furey 4 neck.