1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz Bass - Which Has The Chunkiest Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Nov 29, 2012.

1. theevilplankton

theevilplankton

Before scaling down to my solitary P-bass, I had a bit of a Jazz tip earlier this year.

Always loved the Jazz - but the neck profile proved too small for my hands.

Tried a new MIA Standard, Road Worn....nothing suited.

Is there any Jazz bass on the market (any manufacturer) that has a chunky neck, not necessarily to the extent of the P (although that would be nice), but something close?

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Jazz Bass with a P neck?

The more modern P style necks are 1.625" rather than the traditional 1.75" at the nut - so will make a logical intermediate option, particularly with the 'modern C' shape that's pretty comfy.

Less common than a P with a Jazz neck but still with fans. ;)

3. thlayli

thlayli

I'd do it! Stick a P neck on that puppy and see what you think.

4. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Most of my Js have a P neck on them and it's truly a thing of beauty. I do it mainly because I prefer the feel of the P necks but also think that their added mass increases the thump factor a bit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I say have one built for you. Im like the Jazz body and nut width but i find the J too thin, i like having a P pick up but i also like to have the J at the bridge. I like a maple board and a light weight Ash body Bass, the list goes on and on, if you are as specific as i am it may be time to get a Bass built for you. There are plenty of builders out there making affordable custom Fender style Basses.

Marco Cortez ( Marco Bass) made me the P/J of my dreams, its got a Jazz but and neck shape but the profile is thicker than a P bass, hand wound passive P/J that sounds better than anything ive played and it costs less than some high end stuff that it blows away! Only catch is you have to wait.

[​IMG]

7. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Fender classic series 70's re-issuse

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Your bass is by far one of the most unique I have ever seen. I'd probably call it the "Ghost" bass, as it appears to be constantly floating. Simply fantastic.

9. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

+1 on the Classic Series 70's RI, chunkiest Jazz Neck I've ever played. Its a wonderful bass.

10. Salamenster

Salamenster

The neck of my Fender Classic 70's RI Jazz is very, very chunky. Check those out.

11. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Ya want chuncky? Like really chuncky! Allparts sells a 1 inch thick Jazz Bass neck all the way! From the heel to the nut.

Bought one and love it! Like huggin' a "big mama"!

Other than that which is an extreme, Warmoth's standard Jazz Bass neck is very nice! Thicker than a normal Fender Jazz Bass neck.

Allparts standard J neck is thicker than a standard Fender J too. Allparts lists the specs.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

I briefly owned a 72 Jazz that had a VERY chunky neck. I imagine the 70's reissues should have something like that...

13. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Add me to the list. Though the nut width is 1-1/2", not 1-3/4", the chunkiness is like an old P-Bass. All that aside, it's well built and sounds like a Jazz Bass should.

Go buy one. :bassist:

14. SteveC

SteveC

After playing my Geddy Lee for a while, ANY other jazz neck feels chunky.

15. bobalu

bobalu

I have a '74 Jazz that has the most wonderful thick chunky neck. It is my absolute no. 1 playing bass for comfort (and sound). I have tried the 70's reissue and it is not quite as chunky, but it is noticeably thicker than the current Am. Standards and other current Jazz offerings from Fender. I also have a Road Worn Jazz that has a nice big neck as well (again, not nearly as chunky as the '74). The 60's Jazz basses did have fair size necks in comparison to the current models. I tried a Geddy Lee and it felt like I would snap the neck if I fretted too hard! :p

16. LoriB

LoriB

My G&L JB has a neck I'd definitely describe as "chunky" for a jazz.

17. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Thanks man!

18. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1 on that

and... down to Fender...

former Frank Bello Jazz had an aerodyne shaped jazz body (thinner and with body binding, I mean) only in alder, instead of CIJ Aerodynes which are in basswood

plus it sported a Precision satin maple neck with rosewood fingerboard with a P/J configuration (Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound SPB3 split pickup + Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Jazz) and Leo Quann's BadAssIII stringthru bridge and Fender UltraLite machineheads (to prevent neckdive with a Precision neck and a slim Jazz body)

Present Mark Hoppus Jazz sports a Precision satin maple neck with rosewood fingerboard (and a reversed Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound SPB3 split pickup only) with a stringthru bridge

These are both MIM Jazzes, only you need to find a stock item
    for the former Frank Bello Jazz bass (now he's with ESP with a brand new Precision wise P/J EMG X equipped signature bass) or the former Mark Hoppus Jazz bass (with pink and celeste finishing available and regular Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound)
    while present Mark Hoppus model (surfgreen and white blonde)
    and reversed Seymour Duncan is regularly on sale nowadays...

Cheers,
    Wallace

19. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Back in the 80s, I had a Cortez J-bass that had one of the biggest necks I've seen on any four-stringer ever. I believe that Cortez became Cort, but (a) I don't know that for sure, and (b) if so, I don't know if later Cort basses had similar neck dimensions.

That is my experience as well. Some people posted about the Fender Classic Series 70s Jazz; I have a FSR Antigua Jazz and I'm pretty sure it's basically a 70s Jazz with an unbound dot neck, but in any event it does have a beefier neck than other Fender J's I've played.

20. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

Get the 5-string. *that's* a chunky neck...