Jazz bass with 1 volume possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maynjo, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Maynjo

Maynjo

Hi, I'm thinking of adding a series/parallel switch to my jazz bass, but i was thinking of using a mini toggle instead of a push pull. I keep both of my pickups turned to the same volume so I was wondering if its possible to wire a jazz bass with just 1 volume. I'd like to have it wired Volume/Tone/Mini series/parallel toggle. Is this possible? and if it is, anyone have a diagram? thanks a bunch.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

no diagram, but that's totally doable.

shame though, because "both pickups, shaded towards bridge just enough for that mid-bump" and "neck by itself" are both awesome tones, and you would lose both of them.
  3. Maynjo

Maynjo

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I hate that if I wanna do volume swells, or gradually lower volume its not possible. Guess I could always get a volume pedal, but eh. Also, I don't know if this is just a problem with my jazz bass or if they all do it, but when I turn both volumes all the way down, a little bit of signal still comes through.
  4. prd004

prd004

I had mine done with a master volume and a blend knob for similar reasons.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

+1, volume/blend has a few advantages, swells and one-knob level control among them.
  7. Maynjo

Maynjo

I hadn't thought about using a blend knob, that would keep more versatility. I could always do Push/pull Volume s/p - Blend - Tone.
  8. Maynjo

Maynjo

But... how would I go about wiring that?
  9. walterw

search it, you'll find tons of stuff here, including references to "unloaded" or "ungrounded" blend pots, which i really like for combining J pickups.
  10. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
  11. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Another configuration that works well is using a volume + tone + 4-position rotary switch with the options being neck/series/parallel/bridge.
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, let me say that my "standard" mod on my cheapie SX jazz clone basses is either the rotary switch or vol/blend with Series/parallel on volume push-pull.

Comments:

1. While most of my rotary switchs are 4 position recently I have been changing them to 5 position (available from Stew-Mac) where the 5th position grounds the output for mute. I find that a VERY handy option to have at essentially no added cost.

2. I've yet to find a vol/blend passive circuit that really works correctly in both series and parallel. The one I use works well in parallel (which is the usual Jazz configuration but when you switch to series the blend knob becomes quite unresponsive over most of it's rotation acting more like a pickup switch at the ends of it's rotation than a blend knob as the action is VERY fast at the ends. Still it's quite a useful arrangement when playing and gives you the standard blend option sounds that switching does not.

My Squier P/J bass is the only one I've left Vol/vol. But it usually just gets left in P-bass position.