1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz Body Weight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LightForce104, Nov 20, 2012.

1. LightForce104

LightForce104

Aloha folks,

I'm thinking about assembling my own bass from Warmoth parts. As I'm browsing through the in-stock bodies, I notice that Warmoth has included the weight of the body. My question is this. Is a light or a heavy body recommended for a jazz bass?
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That is debatable.

I have swapped body's on my Jazz from a heavy alder to a light swamp ash.
    My ears tell me that the alder body is best but my shoulder,back and legs tell me the ash is much better.
  3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

IMO there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to play a heavy jazz/precision bass. Alder and swamp ash bodies can be had in light weight (below 5 pounds) with no compromise in quality, tone, or appearance. As a guy who plays 5 sets a night I won't play 4-string jazz/precision basses heavier than 8 pounds.
  4. bootsox

bootsox

for a jazz, I prefer a lighter weight body. it's a very good design for balance and doesn't need much in the body area to keep the neck from diving.