1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Jazz Build on the Cheap....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gecko 5, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I want to start by saying I am in no way, shape or form a luthier.
    I have a chance to do some fill-in work with a 7 piece horn band this summer. A couple songs will require a Jazz bass, for some minor slapping.
    I thought I would save up a few bucks and pick up a MIM Jazz.
    Then I found a guy on E#*y that makes bodies and necks DIRT CHEAP. I have not received the body yet, but its on the way.
    I ordered a neck on Saturday. Maple with a Pau Ferro fingerboard with abalone dots.
    Body is ash, rear routed.
    Both pieces are going to be about $300

Here is the body...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking for parts(bridge, pickups and tuners), for quite a while a couple days ago. The next day I was at a vintage guitar show in Alsip, Illinois. My good friend Leo Lopez ( www.leosgear.com ) who works at Lakland Basses had everything I needed...cheap.
    I got a set of Hipshot Ultralites for $25. A Badass bridge for $40, and a set of EMG Jazz pickups with complete harness for $40.
    When the body comes I want to paint it to match my 2006 Chevy HHR, which is Sunburst Orange Metallic. May do matching headstock. Not sure yet.
    I will post pictures of the progress