1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz chord progression (DIATONIC) ? Theroy

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by musical09, Oct 23, 2012.

1. musical09

musical09

Disclosures:
    Musician talk
    Hey guys please HELP me HERE!!!!!!!!!! im lost in the wind when it comes to playing/improvising over jazz fusion / jazz progressions because the chord harmony seems more complex I know the basic 7 major modes . IM thinking this tune key of Bb major gmin ?
    gmin/ amin/ dmin/ ebmaj /E? /B? / abmaj/ gmin ??? OR how would i really improvise over this tune Gretchen parlato-(WEAK)

???????

2. mflaherty

mflaherty

3. FusionJamTracks

FusionJamTracks

Depends on your knowledge. Improvising on something like this is not for the faint of hear whom has no music theory knowledge... but Do you know your major and minor pent scales inside out up down forward and back?

If so, a starting point atleast... would be to write out the scale that goes with each of those chords... and then simplify each scale into any pentatonic scale that they might contain (if they do).

So let me tear this apart quickly...

On ALL of these chords, you could start by just improvising on the 3 or 4 chord tones of each chord, but that won't last...so here's a pentatonic analysis, from just one persons point of view...;-)

F#/D = D E F# G A B C# D (d major scale)

So on that chord you could play D major pent, or Bm pentatonic (both the same 5 notes, which ever you 'think' is easier)

Gm7 = G A Bb C D E F G (G Dorian scale)

So on that you could play G minor pentatonic.

Am7 = A B C D E F# G A (A Dorian)

So on that you could play A minor pentatonic.

Dm7 = D E F G A B C D (D Dorian)

So on that you could play D minor pentatonic.

EbMaj7 = Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb (Eb Major scale)
    = Eb F G A Bb C D Eb (Eb Lydian, more beautiful, and the only non-diatonic example so far)

So on that you could just play Eb Major Pentatonic, or C Minor pentatonic (both the same 5 notes, which ever you 'think' is easier.)

Em9 = E F# G A B C# D E (E Dorian)

So on that you could just play E minor Pentatonic

Bm7 = B C# D E F# G# A B (B Dorian)

So on that you could just play B minor pentatonic

Bbmaj7 = Bb C D Eb F G A Bb (Bb Major Scale)
    = Bb C D E F G A Bb (Bb Lydian, more beautiful)

Gm7 = Same as previous Gm7

Thats where i would ultimately start if i really wanted to study this tune. I might even look through the above info and see which notes are shared between multiple chords, so that they can be put to easy use..

If Pentatonic gets to easy for that (unlikely), then ad the 2 notes to make it its diatonic scale which i outlined. But in this song, your not likely to get more than 2-4 notes PER chord in most spots, and so trying to improvise with 7 notes, and pick only 2-4 in no time at all, can overwhelm.

However, on that note, this whole message can overwhelm, because i have no idea if you know what a pentatonic scale is! hehe ;-)

My youtube channel is www.youtube.com/FusionJamTracks

come and say hi anytime. I have Jam Tracks that could help you with each of these individual chords.