1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz: fretless fiver + fretted four or vice versa?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Dec 26, 2013.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

What are your thoughts and experience?
    I currently have a good fretted five string, active Jazz and a good fretless five string as well. I do not have a four string Jazz, though, but I am looking for one.

Since I could do most of our songs on a four string and I feel slightly more relaxed without the low B, I have thought of trading one of the fivers for a four stringer. I figured combining the two "speciality basses" into one might work. I normally go for a bit simpler approach on my fretted fiver vs on a four and fretless is also used on slower songs.

Any comments?
  2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

My choice is a fretted 5 and a fretless 4 Jazz. I usually play a 5-string. But, when a J is called for, or a fretless is called for, my fretless J 4 has never let me down.
  3. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Most of the above... I have a fretless five and both fretted and fretless fours.