Jazz lessons on DVD

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by eno50, Nov 29, 2012.

1. eno50

eno50 Supporting Member

Hello fellow bassist,
    Can anyone recommend a DVD Jazz course for electric bass,covering some of the standard jazz tunes.
    I learn better by watching players play is why I want to find a DVD course.I have been a rock-blues and country player for years
    I would like to study and learn a little jazz at this point in my life, and would like to learn standards so I can sit in with some jazz guys and know what to play.
    I have looked around and i see alot of up-right instructionals, but have no luck in finding something for the electric bassist.
    So if anyone knows of anything out there please let me know...
    Thanks Eno
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Good luck finding what you want. There are DVD's all over the Internet pick one and see if it helps. I've listed the Jamey Aebersold Jazz Catalog later in this post. I bet you can find something there.

IMO I think you would do better having some fake chord sheet music on several of the standard you would like to learn and then have a Video of it being played.

Autumn leaves fake chord is easy to pull up and then finding someone playing the song on a video is also easy. Put the fake chord on a music stand, turn on the video and see if you can keep up with the music. Most of the time the key is the same on these old standards.

Should mention, I'd recommend comping the chord tone bass line, leave the melody line for much later.

Here is the chord progression to Autumn Leaves. http://www.8notes.com/chord_chart/autumn_leaves.asp

Here is a vocal video.

Good luck.
  3. robwren

robwren Supporting Member

Check out Todd Johnson's downloadable lessons at toddjohnsonmusic.com, especially his Playing Through the Real Book series and his Walking Bass Lines series.
  4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I know this is cliché but ... the electric bass is more used in fusion jazz while the Double Bass is more the thing you will see in traditionnal jazz.

The music you will find in a Real Book were always played by a DB player.

What you need is some theory knowledge on how jazz works, the bebop scale etc.
    You need to learn how to construct a waling bass line.
    Then you need to know the melody because melody is king and it is also useful if you do a solo.

So everything you will find will be for DB ... but it is just knowledge ... you can easily use that knowledge on any instruments ...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wrench45us

wrench45us

+1 on the Todd Johnson Walking Basslines series.

The songs at the end of the book are a treasure trove of walking bass ideas (not all of which are covered in the preceding lessons)

and honestly I don't care that jazz is 'supposed' to be played on double bass
  7. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Agreed. Anyone who utters those words is a moron.
  8. TC2112

TC2112

I have worked through the first two Todd Johnson walking bass lines lessons and highly recommend them. I would also recommend Scott Devine's play-a-long series from his web site. Very fairly priced and a ton of info and progressions along with backing tracks
  9. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    When trying to learn the basics of jazz, I have found there are more book+CD combos that are effective than there are DVDs.

I have some of the DVDs mentioned - and some that haven't been yet - and while they are Good, I don't think they do a Great job of leading one down the road. I think some of the book+CD packages are more effective. YMMV.
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Feel that way about orchestral music too?
  11. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Not a DVD but the fried land creating walking bass lines is an awesome book that comes with a cd. Have fun and enjoy learning some jazz...... And electric bass is great for it....see Crenshaw pattituci etc