1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz Music Help!!!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ROYAN, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ROYAN

ROYAN

Hi guys,
    So I have an Jazz School audition next week .
    And the school requires One up-tempo tune,One ballad and One blues tune in Jazz standard.
    do you guy have any music suggestion are following the requirement?
    Thank YOu so much for the help!!
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure this kind of thing has come up before here and people have listed what they did in auditions for Jazz courses ... search on "auditions" and "Jazz" ..?

EDIT - Look in Jazz Technique section!
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

What tunes have you been playing? And when you say "jazz school", what are you talking about? Juilliard, North Texas, Bass Collective, Player's School, what?
  4. Blankandson

Blankandson

5. ROYAN

ROYAN

I am applying to The New School for Jazz and Contemporary music.
  6. ROYAN

ROYAN

Could you provide a pink for me??
    Thanks a lot!
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

That was the second question, you should answer the first one too....
  8. ROYAN

ROYAN

haha sorry man, I missed the first question.
    I have been playing classical for seven years, I have not play any jazz bass before.
    but the audition for the Jazz and contemporary music is next week. So i was thinking maybe I can learn these three pieces in a week, and take some courses from the school.
  9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Best of luck with that. A few things to consider:
    CAVEAT: the tenor player I work with used to be the Director of Academic Affairs for the jazz program there, part of his job was auditions and placement.

The audition process is there to determine a couple of things - which ensembles you're ready for OR what remedial work will be necessary to get your skill levels to the point that you can play in ensembles. SO if you haven't played this music enough to have built some repertoire, nor have any familiarity with improvising a walking bass line, you're gonna get stuck with a lot of remedial work. And it's a lot of bread to pay to basically get to "entry level" playing. Why not spend a year or two studying privately with a good jazz teacher so that, when you audition, you already have some experience under your belt? Your classical studies should have given you a good physical approach to the instrument, so finding a saxophonist or pianist who has a good pedagogical approach to teaching improvisation and doing some walking line transcription will put you in a much better place for auditioning.
  10. amusicbass123

amusicbass123

Massive + 1, that's how the New School pays it's bills. Jazz school kinda boils down to a great networking opportunity for people that go into it knowing how to play. If you're not ready you'll get backburner'd and discouraged. Get a good teacher and save the $.
  11. LM Bass

LM Bass

Good advice from Ed there. Think it over, Royan, you should probably wait a bit.