1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz neck on a Precision body/general Hotrod questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J03YW, Dec 1, 2012.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hey, I'm getting a Squier 60's CV P-bass for christmas, but I'd rather have a Jazz neck because of my small hands. Will this screw anything up? I heard that Timmy from Rage Against the Machine did it, and it sounds like a good idea to me. Also, I'm gonna throw some Dimarzio model P's in there, a hipshot BT-1 (that's what the guy from hipshot said would fit, but it says on their website it only fits G&K and Music Man basses. huh.), and putting in 500k pots and a series/parallel switch. Any other things that should be changed on this? (I'm shooting for Entwistle's sound, around 1970. I plan on putting Rotosound 66s on it)
  2. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Hey! Since you seem to have joined in November, I'll welcome you to the forum as a newcomer.

The neck won't make a massive tonal difference unless you change the neck/fretboard wood type. As long as you get a decent quality neck that's a maple/rosewood then it shouldn't sound much different than what the neck comes with stock...it might even improve it. On the pickups, you may not need the 500k pots or series/parallel switch. Some people like having the option, but the P pickup in parallel often loses the character of the P sound and may not be worth the hassle for you. On the pots, you could get 250k linear and audio taper pots to improve on the stock ones, but I don't know that the 500k's will do that much for you if you're wanting oldschool tone like the Ox ;)

After the upgrades, play hard and practically on top of the neck...you'll get some sweeeet tones. John had unique technique, it's every bit as important as his gear is to his sound (if not more). Congrats on picking the Squier! It's a fine bass at a great price!
  3. J03YW

J03YW

Thank you for the nice response! I have basically every pot and switch I'll ever want in my family's garage so I'll be sure to play around. Most importantly, thanks for the affirmation that the neck will work out. For some reason, I just like the feel of a J's neck, and I've already found a Rosewood neck that matches the Squier CV quite nicely. I'm thinking of stenciling my signature over where the Fender logo would be xD What kind of bridge do you think I should put on? I'm not sure about replacing that.
  4. CamboBasso

CamboBasso

I think I basically have what you're describing: A Squier P-bass with a Jazz neck ...

I live in Cambodia, and there are a few authorized instrument dealers, but the second hand market is flooded with weird counterfeits and mash-ups, they get them by the container load and warehouse them in developing countries like this one apparently. There are more guitars here than guitarists by a fairly ridiculous factor.

I can't be certain what I have (I did post a thread on it at one point) but after a lot of detective work, I figure the body is most likely Squier or some lesser version of a P-Bass, while the neck is either from a nice version of a Jazz (like the higher end Squier vintage maybe?)... or an actual Jazz bass? Except that it looks like the logo was sanded and restamped "Fender Jazz" which you wouldn't do if it said that already. It has a Washburn neckplate randomly enough. The neck kicks ass though, it's the reason I bought it.

Mine's a 5 string. I got it for (drum roll) ... $70. It sounds and plays a hell of a lot better than $70.

The thing with counterfeits and Frankenstein guitars is that there are some that end up being pretty nice, for whatever reason, you just have to do some digging and find them. And always ignore whatever fake brand they stamp on it --- a fake Music Man is not necessarily better than a fake of something less expensive. And you have to play every single one of them; they might seem the same at a glance and then you'll discover they have different pickups or neck etc.

Anyways, (probably a) Squier P-bass + Jazz (jazz style, at least) neck is working for me.
  5. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Or save a bit more and buy a Fender Blacktop Jazz, there you get the best of both worlds. I had one and regret getting rid of it. But I will have another:)
  6. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

It won't screw anything up. I've done it many times. You will definitely like the results.
  7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

There's really not much difference in size b/w that neck and a jazz neck. When you get it, play it for a while and you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it.
  8. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

I've done this sort of thing a bunch. Just make sure the neck width is right... Here's where I swapped the neck on both of these basses:

This is a Squire Neck on an SX body:

(AG 4J-60 pickups - This one the neck pocket on one of the sides wasn't perfect, but still sounds and plays great.)

[​IMG]

THis is a Squire Body, and an SX Neck:

(AG 4P-60 Pick up)

[​IMG]
  9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    First let me congratulate you on having very good taste! JAEs sound circa 1970 is a benchmark for bass tone. He got this with a Slab P bass (imported into England in the mid 60's) Hiwatt Amps and Rotosound Swing Bass strings which he helped develop with Roto Sound. The Squier CV P bass is a great P bass regardless of price. The necks are not as wide as say a 50's or 60's P bass so switching to a J width might not be necessary, but it can easily be done. Roto Sound Swing bass strings are a must to get the sound you are looking for. The Hiwatt rig is very pricey. I don't know what you are playing through but if it is a solid state rig I would get a Ibanez Bass Tube Screamer (I have one I use it if I am forced to use a rented back line and it works great to get the sound you are looking for. btw my main rig is all 70's Hiwatt) Hope that helps and welcome!
  10. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Donald "Duck" Dunn (Booker T & MGs and Staxx session player, oh yeah - and Blues Brothers) played a P-Bass with a Jazz neck for many years. Unfortunately he died earlier this year. Wonderful player, and by all accounts a terrific guy.

Lakland makes a model, the 44-64 Custom, that is configured this way. It comes in the US and Skyline (Asian import) versions. The model was formerly known as the Duck Dunn signature model, so you'll see it referred to as such here on TB sometimes.

I too find the Jazz neck (1.5" nut) to result in a more comfortable neck. By all means, go for it.

Jim
  11. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP, all the standard Fender MIM and MIA 4-string necks are interchangeable.
    As to your hot-rod plans, a word of caution: you will lose your ass at resale time.

Keep all your old parts somewhere secure, so you can restore at selling time.
    You won't get a dime more for the hot-rod goodies, than you will get from the stock bass.
    Plan on a Squier having zilch for a resale value.

The trick while you work out G.A.S. pains is to buy used.
    Be careful what you pay, and you can recover most of your investment at selling time.
  12. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

As long as the neck butt fits in the pocket (and the neck is the same scale as the first one), it will affect nothing. Absolutely nothing.
  13. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

I bought a CV 60's P and a 60's J and swapped the J neck onto the P. It was an exact fit. Then put the P neck on the J body and sold it, so was able to recoup money back. Changed out the pots (though didn't need to) and cap, and tuners (Just to lighten the bass up even more) Put DiMarzio P pickups in and it's a monster. Love the bass.
  14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

No problem. Yeah the Jazz necks are amazing! My favorites are still the Ibanez necks, but Jazzes are definitely great for a classic-sized neck.

Bridge changing is a peculiar thing. I hear of it doing a whole lot to change the tone sometimes, other times not. What I do know is that my Hipshot bridge that I put on my custom P makes it a LOT easier to change out strings and save a pair that I might want to use later. Adjusting the saddle height and intonation seems a lot smoother with it as well. Past that, I couldn't tell you anything else it can do for you if you change it. I do think that anything besides the stock Fender bridges is an upgrade though lol.
  15. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I put Gotoh 201 brass bridges on my MIM-P and MIM-J fretless.
    The massive bridge does offer a noticeable tone improvement over the flimsy stock bridge.
    These are direct replacements for MIM bridges, but not for MIA which have different mount holes.