1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jazz neck or Precision neck. Which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobCobain1994, Dec 18, 2013.

1. RobCobain1994

RobCobain1994

Okay firstly, I'm not looking for anybody's advice on which one I should get as that stuff is all purely subjective. I just thought it would be an interesting subject.
    So, which do you guys prefer? And why do you prefer it?

Personally I prefer the Jazz neck as it feels more comfortable for me to play since I have small hands.
  2. madrob

madrob

Jazz all the way for me too. I've got small hands and just can't play things on a P neck that I can on a J. I've got a P with a J neck and for me it's the perfect combo.
  3. RobCobain1994

RobCobain1994

I've been thinking about doing that for a while, I love the P tone and a P with a jazz neck would be awesome.
  4. jwj1701

jwj1701

My hands aren't so small I can't play with a P neck but the thinner jazz is just more comfortable to me. And I do prefer the sharper jazz tone as well.
  5. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

I have big hands and have always preferred the precision neck, the jazz is just way too narrow at the nut, feels similar to a violin to me.
  6. madrob

madrob

Go for it! I bought a P body and J neck in the classifieds and put it all together. Didn't cost an arm and a leg and it's something you can't buy from Fender.
  7. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I wish this question were this simple. There are too many variations on each of those necks to be as simple as P vs. J, I think. Even just in the Js, you've got your choice of profiles: Vintage C, Modern C, U, V, etc. Then there are at least two choices of radii, 7.25 and 9.5 ... the only commonality is probably the nut width.

With the P, it's even worse. Nut width can be 1.625 up to 1.75 (maybe bigger), unless you've got a P with a J-style neck, then it's 1.5. Same issue with neck profiles and the radii.

That said, I prefer a J neck, though a P would be fine. But only in Vintage C profile (kinda chunky) with a 7.25" radius. Give me a Thin or Modern C and a 9.5" radius, though, and--while it's still a J neck--I don't like it.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

When I played fours I always preferred P-bass necks, either 1.75" or 1.625" at the nut (C or B width). I have smallish hands/fingers, but even so, I could never get comfy on the slim Jazz neck.
  9. RobCobain1994

RobCobain1994

Been looking at the Mark Hoppus sig, I love jazz bodies and it looks perfect but sadly I don't have €750 to burn right now.
    Damn I hate being a student! :crying:

Might go with your idea. :bassist:
  10. Lownote38

Lownote38

I prefer the beefier Precision Bass neck. I don't have huge hands either. I really don't know why I like it better other than I started playing bass on one. Oh yeh, it's less likely to break if you use it as a weapon as well.
  11. RobCobain1994

RobCobain1994

Hahaha that's almost exactly what my friend said to me a few weeks ago.
  12. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I've only owned one Precision (a '62 re-issue) and I was much more comfortable on my '62 re-issue Jazz neck. I think the main thing was the string spacing, but it's been a while so I can't be much more specific than that.
  13. madrob

madrob

FYI, the Mark Hoppus has a P width neck on it.
  14. msact

msact Supporting Member

I can play anything. I do not have large hands at all, but I prefer a wider neck. In fact, I have a 12 string that is 2 1/8" at the nut and I have no problems playing it. I have found if I keep my thumb on the back of the neck rather than wrapping it around I have much better reach and speed across the fretboard.
  15. RobCobain1994

RobCobain1994

Oh damn, nevermind so. :p
  16. erigod23

erigod23

I prefer the P neck. They resonate better, 'cause you know, more wood.
  17. JACink

JACink

Due to my first bass having a P neck which I hated, I always avoided P necks and found J necks nicer.

After being loaned a P necked bass to play with some guys (I did not have my basses with me), I found it quite comfortable.

After further investigation, I found that the thing I hated about my first bass was the painted neck with the gloss finish. Since I stripped it and oiled it, I actually like the neck.

So now I realise I like both.

The problem is that this multiplies the GAS factor x2!!
  18. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I jam and play out with a Jazz. But I record with a P.
    I feel it makes me be a bit more deliberate and purposeful in my playing, less inclined to muck around, because it's just a little more real estate to traverse. I also think my P just records better.
  20. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

I like P necks better these days. Small ish hands here as well.